free storage mysteriously disappearing

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by anonymous4a, May 3, 2014.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Hi, I'm running Windows 8 bootcamp on macbook retina 15, when I start up Windows 8, I have about 1.2 gigs free space remaining.. but this amount fluctuates on every startup.. sometimes its 500mb, than even 3 mb, than 0 space remaining.. than jumps back to 1 gig on next startup. Whats going on with this free space? I checked my updates and it doesn't seem like any new updates are being installed so where is this space going? Anyway to fix it ?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's likely due to Windows using your hard drive as virtual memory. You can reduce its size, although if possible you should try to free up some space in the drive by deleting files instead as reducing the virtual memory size can affect performance.

3. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

This. By default Win8 will dynamically manage the page file. You can set it to a static size if you prefer.

4. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it really by default ? I don't remember my storage space fluctuating like this a couple months ago and I've always had about 1 gig free storage. Could I set the virtual memory size to 0 ? How much would I actually need ? I play some games on windows but that's about it..

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The page file is enabled by default. With enough physical memory you could theoretically disable it completely. I have done just that on my custom-built desktop with 8 GB of memory and it runs perfectly fine. I use it for gaming and file sharing. That system runs Win 7.

6. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

my macbook retina has 16 gb of memory so shouldn't that be available for windows bootcamp ?