Free substitute of Time Machine on Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by garirry, Apr 1, 2016.

1. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Hello,

I've been in pain for a year since I can't figure out at all what kind of software do I need to use to backup Windows and my data in a similar fashion like Time Machine on Mac. I've tried Windows 7's built-in backup tool, it doesn't work at all. After updating to Windows 10, I tried file history, but the software is so buggy I can't use it. And I've searched the entire damn Internet for something like this but nothing even comes close to giving me a good backup solution, or I have to pay for it (and I don't have a single penny to spend).

Does anyone who mistakenly switched from Mac to Windows has any suggestions for an app like this? Thanks.

2. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

What went wrong with Windows Backup? It creates an image for full restore and also backs up all your files and settings. It isn't pretty but it usually works okay. I have one backing up to my Time Capsule.

3. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I was using Advanced Backup & Recovery 11.5 (from Acronis) to backup my Windows machine. This one is really powerful.

Unfortunately, its license price is also incredibly high.

I don't like file history and Windows backup software either. It just didn't work. :(

4. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

5. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

I already am on Windows 10, as I said, I tried File History, but it's way too buggy.

I tried Acronis True Image 2016, and I love it so far. $50 is still not cheap for me, but I'll get to afford it someday. Thanks! If there are any real advantages for Advanced Backup over this, please tell me.

6. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Oops, missed that! Best of luck finding something that works for you.

7. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

For me, the real advantage of using Advanced Backup & Recovery is it allows me to backup Windows Server, while True Image does not allow. And it has a lot more options at hand, making advanced backup easy and painless. For example, it can send you an email when backup is completed/interrupted.

Since you are using Windows 10, and Windows Server 2016 still has a long way to go (I want to install this OS), I think you just only need to use True Image and that is enough. :)

8. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use Acronis True Image and while it may not be free, it does the job.

Back in the day, most software titles cost 50 dollars and up. I'd say if it does the job well, then why not pay 50 dollars - puts your mind to rest about your data

10. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Samsung SSD aren't free but if you do have one on USB3 then Samsung Migration does a nice clone.