Free Texting via Message.app

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iPh0ne 0s4, Jan 18, 2011.

1. iPh0ne 0s4 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

So today I was playing around with some "free Texting" apps, and I found TextNow, quite preferable. But then I thought... Can I somehow change the server of which the message app sends from, to the @textnow.me server. Therefore getting free Texting via the message app itself. Any ideas how to go about setting this up?

I'm not talking with any know-how, so please dont bash me for my ignorance.

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

not sure about the service you use, but there is a tweak for a couple bucks called "SMS GV Extension" that lets you text from your google voice number through the native messaging app. It also adds incoming text to the app when you receive the text via push email so it kinda makes for free incoming/outgoing texts. It works with bitesms too so thats a plus.

3. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

you probably could configure it to send from that server but two issues:

A. i dont think the 'from' field on the recipient would be from you, therefore the person receiving the text wouldn't know it was you sending the text.

B. you couldn't receive texts in the same way unless the person also hacked their messages.app.

the best option is still google voice.

4. iPh0ne 0s4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks guys, ill check the extension out