Free trial or ad based?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by chainprayer, Jan 31, 2009.

1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

For all of you who offer paid services...

Do you find that free trials or ad supported vs paid works better? I'm going to be charging formy site and wanted to get some feedbakc before I started the coding. Thanks!

2. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

Ads

If you get a lot of traffic, then the ads should get you a lot of money.
    The only downside I have found with ads is that on Google AdSense, you have to reach an earnings of $100 before you can get a check sent.
    I am half way there, and it will take forever. But when you get that $100 it will help. I haven't got any payments yet, but I am still trying to get traffic to my site.

How much were you gonna charge for the program if you did that?
    And how would you keep people from steeling it? Like without paying.

3. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well first the actual tracking page grabs their ip address and other info. Then it instantly redirects them through to their usual home page.

I was thinking free members would have an ad shown for 5 seconds while paid members would have an instant redirect.

Membership status will be checked against the database with the user id that is passed through the actual homepage URL.

4. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

This is something every business owner struggles woth. There is no simple answer. You need to figure out what and who your target market is and base your service off that. You need a lot of traffic to make any money with Google and you need a great service for people to pay.

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Also, if you feel there is a product or products that are very similar or similar to what you're offering, examine their sites closely to see how they do it.. You don't want to duplicate them precisely, but it can give you an idea of what people expect to find when they go looking for that type of service/product.

I tend to see Google Adwords on a site and it bumps it down a notch, but that's just me.

6. theappleguy macrumors 6502

Yeah, I agree. If I see advertising on a business website, I'm immediately cautious about the products they are providing. If you offer it for free I suppose it isn't such a huge issue, but personally I'd go with the free trial option (even if it is for several months to get people using and relying on your product). Until traffic volumes are high, you're probably not going to make that much of advertising anyhow. :)