Free underclocking program?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macindev, Jul 22, 2009.

1. macindev macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Lots of times I use my MacBook for downloading a file or sharing internet, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any FREE underclocking program? I ask this because when it's downloading I don't want heat to build in the closed case.

I have checked out CoolBook, but I don't want to spend any money on it unless I find that I really would like/use it.
    :apple:

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I think the computer will automatically downclock the CPU when it's not using it much.

I was downloading for 2 days straight at 1.5MBps and there was not much heat on the computer's underside. The heat came when it was time to un-rar everything...heh

Alternatively, you can just bump the fan speeds up with SMC Controller, but again...the computer will turn them up if needed.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You could run the computer without the battery; of course the risk would be your computer would die in a power loss.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't think downloading excessively will produce a lot a heat. I download multiple files at the same time with very little change in temperatures. Like NewMacBook stated, I think the CPU does underclock itself when it is not in use to save power.