Free up space / Missing Hard Drive Space on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puneet1135, Sep 25, 2015.

1. puneet1135 macrumors newbie

Hai guys,

I'm not able to account for ~30 GB of Hard Disk Space on my Mac. Wondering if any of you have ran into the same problem.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro Late 2010, 4GB Ram, 250GB Hard Disk, OS: 10.9.2(Mavericks)

I have checked all my folder sizes (starting from root directory). Went to finder, did a Go->Go to Folder-> Goto root folder ( cd / )
    All of the folders there (Applications, Developer, Library, System and Users) add upto 80 GB.

Info from About This Mac: Total Storage = 248 GB, Free = 139 GB,

Hai guys,

I'm not able to account for ~30 GB of Hard Disk Space on my Mac. Wondering if any of you have ran into the same problem.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro Late 2010, 4GB Ram, 250GB Hard Disk, OS: 10.9.2(Mavericks)

I have checked all my folder sizes (starting from root directory). Went to finder, did a Go->Go to Folder-> Goto root folder ( cd / )
    All of the folders there (Applications, Developer, Library, System and Users) add upto 80 GB.

Info from About This Mac: Total Storage = 248 GB, Free = 139 GB, Used = 110 GB

However, the total size I have is 80GB, which leaves me 30 GB unaccounted for ?

Any suggestions?) add upto 80 GB

However, the total size I have is 80GB, which leaves me 30 GB unaccounted for ?

Any suggestions?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open Terminal ap and run the command below. You will be asked for your password. Give the command a minute to complete and it will show all the base folders and space used by each in GB. This will include some hidden and system files you cannot normally see.

Then paste the results up here for us to take a look and try and help you.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /