free up storage on macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cindyjj, Mar 29, 2014.

1. cindyjj macrumors regular

I'm trying to clear up some space on my macbook pro because I have only 23 GB left. My storage indicates 143 gb are used for movies and 124 gb are used for audio. I have moved all of the movie and audio files into an external hard drive and deleted them from my computer. The storage is still indicating 143 and 124 gb for those files. How can I fix this?

2. simsaladimbamba

Did you empty the Trash and/or restarted the Mac yet?

3. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

After that restarting in safe mode by holding down the shift key on boot!

4. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

Yes as said I have tried everything. I want to clear out the audio and movies files which have already been deleted.

5. simsaladimbamba

You did not mention to have tried everything, thus the questions.

To find out, where you storage capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
    Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

6. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, as said I found where the storage capacity is being used up - in audio and movies files. I have deleted those files and it still shows storage is being taken up by those files.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Those numbers come from the Spotlight index and sometimes it gets corrupted and shows incorrect data. Run the command below in Terminal to reindex Spotlight and then see what the readings are.

You will always have a few GB in each of those categories as there are some audio and video files that are part of the OS that get included there. Nothing as large as what you are seeing though.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /

8. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I'd just try turning time machine on->off wait 10 seconds and back on again (if you use time machine) and then go to disk utilities and verify permissions and verify disk. Sometimes they find the corrupted data and can fix it.