Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burtonsnow9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
So I just plugged my iPod Touch, which did have 1.* software on it, into my computer, and iTunes just downloaded and installed the 2.2.1 software completely free!! Unless this is old news (I tried searching for anything) then this is pretty cool I think, because didn't have to pay the $10 upgrade fee like it used to ask for.

If everyone already knows this then sorry, please disregard this thread.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
What version were you on before you upgraded? I think the smaller point versions (bug fixes, bascially) are free. It's the jump from 2.0 to 2.1 or 2.2 that's the $10.

Burtonsnow9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I was still back on 1.* (Whatever was the last version before the 2.0 software). It definitely used to ask me to pay, but this time I plugged up and it upgraded it by itself.

Note: I did just upgrade to the newest iTunes...

shadowfayre

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
I too received the update notice.

Update: Apparently, I am beyond the times. This was released in January... How did I miss that?!?! Shows you how often I connect my ipod to my desktop.

Burtonsnow9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
So have they just stopped charging coming from the 1.0 software to the new 2.0 software, or is it just a bug?

Burtonsnow9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I too received the update notice.

Update: Apparently, I am beyond the times. This was released in January... How did I miss that?!?! Shows you how often I connect my ipod to my desktop.

Yea it was released a while ago, but it always required a $10 payment to upgrade if you still had 1.* software, but now it gave it to me for free which is weird.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
What version were you on before you upgraded? I think the smaller point versions (bug fixes, bascially) are free. It's the jump from 2.0 to 2.1 or 2.2 that's the $10.

Incorrect. Anyone that wanted 2.0 when it was available had to pay for it. Then, when 2.1 came out, you could no longer get 2.0 and instead if you wanted to upgrade from 1.1.x you had to buy 2.1. It's not as if iTunes gives you the option to pick between getting 2.0, 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.2 or 2.2.1; if you're upgrading from 1.1.x, then it will only ever give you the option to upgrade to the LATEST version (in this case, 2.2.1). 2.x IS the upgrade, so if you were coming from 1.1.x software you were expected to pay. And no one was ever charged to go from 2.0 to a newer 2.x software, so I have no idea where you got that from. Your post makes absolutely no sense.
So, to clarify, it's the jump from 1.1.x to ANY 2.x software that is (or maybe was) $10.

shadowfayre said:
too received the update notice.

Yup, 2.2.1 was released in January 09, 2.0 was released in July 08.

Burtonsnow9 said:
I was still back on 1.* (Whatever was the last version before the 2.0 software). It definitely used to ask me to pay, but this time I plugged up and it upgraded it by itself.

The last version of 1.1.x was 1.1.5, which I believe was released just after 2.0, to offer some bug fixes to people that didn't upgrade.

Burtonsnow9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
The last version of 1.1.x was 1.1.5, which I believe was released just after 2.0, to offer some bug fixes to people that didn't upgrade.

Yea I had 1.1.5 and never bothered to pay to upgrade until it just did it for free this time!

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Yea I had 1.1.5 and never bothered to pay to upgrade until it just did it for free this time!

That's quite awesome :D

I was one of the poor suckers that put down $25AUS for the January Software Upgrade so I could get Mail, Maps, lyrics and all that...then another $12.50AUS for 2.0 several months later (of course, no one knew at the time exactly when 2.0 would be released and what it'd include to begin with)...when, if I had waited just for 2.0, I could've gotten all the JSU features bundled in at no extra cost...bah!

Burtonsnow9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
That's quite awesome :D

I was one of the poor suckers that put down $25AUS for the January Software Upgrade so I could get Mail, Maps, lyrics and all that...then another $12.50AUS for 2.0 several months later (of course, no one knew at the time exactly when 2.0 would be released and what it'd include to begin with)...when, if I had waited just for 2.0, I could've gotten all the JSU features bundled in at no extra cost...bah!

Ah man, that's terrible haha. I always figured I would just wait and eventually they would give it away for free, because I too many other things to "play" with to worry about paying to upgrade! :D

I'm anxious to see if they are officially doing this now, and if anyone is getting this (if there is even anyone else who never upgraded haha).

shadowfayre

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
With the rumors of OS 3.0 coming, I wonder if they made 2.xx free with the intention of charging users for 3.0 instead?

big-blue-wolf

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
15.8 miles from Molineux
Apple have already said that OS upgrades on the touch will be chargeable. Its all due to accountancy bull. It'll probably only be around £5-£6 again.

I've already paid £12.95 for Mail, Notes etc and then £5.95 for 2.0 so I'll pay again for 3.0.

iPhone users will get it free.

Its only the same as buying Panther then Tiger then Leopard and so on.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
With the rumors of OS 3.0 coming, I wonder if they made 2.xx free with the intention of charging users for 3.0 instead?

Well, last night after eading this thread, I hooked by 1st gen (1.x) up to my laptop and it still asks me to pay for 2.2.1. My ITunes was 8.0, so I upgraded to 8.1, rebooted and it still asks me to pay for 2.2.1 for the 1st gen when I hook it up. So 2.2.1 ain't free yet.

Mike

Burtonsnow9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Well, last night after eading this thread, I hooked by 1st gen (1.x) up to my laptop and it still asks me to pay for 2.2.1. My ITunes was 8.0, so I upgraded to 8.1, rebooted and it still asks me to pay for 2.2.1 for the 1st gen when I hook it up. So 2.2.1 ain't free yet.

Mike

Yea I did the exact same thing, except I received the update for free:D

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
I also performed the update and did not get charged. I was at my boss' house and he had a 1st gen Ipod Touch at 1.5 firmware. I showed him my iPhone with the remote application to control his apple TV and told him he could use it on his touch, but it would cost him $10 to upgrade to 2.x software. He said go ahead and I plugged it into his Apple MBA and it downloaded and installed the 2.2.1 update with no questions asked. So I don't know why some of you are getting charged, but he certainly did not. I paid for the update back at 2.1 software. :(

Burtonsnow9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I also performed the update and did not get charged. I was at my boss' house and he had a 1st gen Ipod Touch at 1.5 firmware. I showed him my iPhone with the remote application to control his apple TV and told him he could use it on his touch, but it would cost him $10 to upgrade to 2.x software. He said go ahead and I plugged it into his Apple MBA and it downloaded and installed the 2.2.1 update with no questions asked. So I don't know why some of you are getting charged, but he certainly did not. I paid for the update back at 2.1 software. :(

Yea this is very strange, and I wonder why it's happening.

Well I guess at least some of us that waited have lucked out!:D

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
Have you got the itunes receipt yet confirming that is was a "free" purchase and you did not infact get charged $10?

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I had similar thing happen when they originally released 2.0, I hit restore and it popped the download dialogue box up and I seen 2.0 I was like huh? so I went along with it and it gave me the 2.0 update for free.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
My bet:

Apple knows that in some jurisdictions, even if it doesn't offer feature enhancements, it's still legally bound to provide security and bugfix support for the products it sells for a certain minimum period of time.

With the forthcoming release of firmware version 3.0, Apple would have soon been left with an obligation to provide support for 3 different tiers of iPod Touch firmware simultaneously:
1) 1.x for people who didn't pay for the 2.x upgrade,
2) 2.x for people who either bought the 2.x upgrade or had 2.x preloaded on their device, but didn't pay for the 3.x upgrade, and
3) 3.x for people who had bought the 3.x upgrade or had it preloaded on their device.

They might have crunched the numbers and decided that it would be prohibitively more expensive to keep on actively maintaining 1.x for the minority of users who would actually use it, than it would be to just give 2.x away for free to the few stragglers left behind, and legally account for the upgrade fee as a business expense write-off.

BertyBoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Or (although less likely),

how can you justify another £10 upgrade charge to go to OS 3.x to a user who's just paid £10 to go to OS 2.x ?

and how can let OS 1.x users jump to OS 3.x for £10, the same as an OS 2.x user ?

Unfortunately, I don't think there's enough in these OS updates to justify comparing them to Panther, Tiger Leopard. It looks little more than new features allowing the user to be separated from their pennies, buying mostly useless apps and games that they never use again after the 7 days novelty wears off - can't remember the recent article here showing Touch app usage (or lack of) recently, but there was one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.