Free upgrade! Apple repair story

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amoda, Apr 16, 2008.

1. amoda macrumors 6502a

Aloha to all.

Just thought I'd share with you my story. So 3 weeks ago tomorrow I took in my MBP to my schools Apple certified repair center. The GPU was fried and they needed to order in a new logic board. The screen was also replaced due to a small defect but anywho.

My MBP was a 2.2 but when I finally got the chance to use my laptop I realized that it now has a 2.6! So I received a 0.4 CPU boost and an extra 128mb vram. However, they forgot to put in all my ram, I now have 1GB instead of the original 2GB.

Also the latch on the new lid (apparently the screen and top lid are one piece) has a hard time latching.

Overall not a bad experience, took a while, and some things aren't as great as I'd like them to be but the updated processor is great! I'll go back tomorrow for that stick of ram though, hopefully the upgrade wasn't a mistake and they want the board back :S.

Edit: Camera doesn't work

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't see them upgrading your specs. That's not Apple. Are you sure you even got your own computer back?

3. Help! macrumors regular

I've heard of people getting refurbished macs with upgrades thrown in for free.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I see. I'd still rather get a non-upgraded new machine.

5. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's definitely mine. When I turned it on it had all my stuff on it. Also it has a distinct scratch on the bottom case which I did several months ago. So I doubt that they got a refurbished laptop then switched the lower case and hard-drive.

Edit: When I went back today to get my Ram and tell him about the dead camera I asked about the upgrade. Apparently Apple just sent it. He asked for a 2.2 and they told him they'd be sending a 2.6. Upgrades coming soon?

Edit 2: Check out the front page...