Free upgrade of Apple apps from App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidg4781, Jun 21, 2011.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm not sure if anyone can answer this right now, but maybe with the release of Final Cut Pro X, it might help.

Let's say I bought the iLife or iWork apps from the app store. When the next version comes out, will it just download or will I need to pay to upgrade again.

Reason I'm asking is I lost my iLife '09 disc and still using iWork '08. Should I buy the discs at a discount on eBay or purchase through the App Store to possibly get future updates for free?

2. Razeus macrumors 601

It's not like they'll give out updates forever. They'll just rename it iLife '12 and you'll pay another $15. The barely update iLife as it is.

3. WalkingSnake macrumors member

You'll get minor updates, eg 11.1 to 11.2.

But you won't get the next version of the product. eg, you're not going to get iLife '13 just because you bought iLife '11. They're considered separate products.

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

How about with iWork? In App Store, it just says iWork, no mention of version/year.

Is this how it worked with Final Cut Pro X?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you don't need to upgrade, then it won't let you. In the case of Final Cut Pro X, this is clearly a new product. You do not have it installed already. You should expect no problems installing it.

6. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

i think it's called just iWork (no year) because they started getting embarrassed by still calling it iWork 09 in 2011
    ;)

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That's true of the current version but there is nothing stopping Apple releasing the next major version as iWork 2012 (or whatever) which would prevent free updates.

8. Nikh macrumors regular

ALL updates in Mac/iOS app store are free as long as application sells it as one package.
    However, nobody denies author to add a new application to appstore (for instance, Final Cut Pro XXX :) ), and it will be sold separately.