Free upgrade to ipod touch 3.0 firmware??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sammaguire1, Jun 24, 2009.

1. sammaguire1 macrumors newbie

Hello.

I was wondering whether you got a free upgrade to 3.0 if you bought your iPod Touch after the new firmware was released? I seem to remember Apple doing something like this last year when the 2.0 firmware came out??

Thanks

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I'm sure they reduce the cost of the iPod by the cost of the update and then you have to go buy the update anyway through iTunes.

3. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

They did that when the January 2008 Software Update came out - any remaining iPod touches already in the supply chain were sold at a reduced price to offset the cost of the new firmware, and all new units from the factory were preloaded with the January update and sold at the regular price.

When 2.x came out in July 2008, IIRC they continued to ship 1G iPod touches at full price with 1.x firmware preloaded, and 2.x was advertised as optional, paid update.

It was only with the release of the 2G iPod touch in September 2008 that they started preloading firmware version 2.x.

4. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

Oh January software upgrade, how I remember spending $20 on you. I think that it sets the record for most spent on about.... a 3KB download?

5. am12 macrumors newbie

Me too.

I just bought a brand new Touch a few days ago, direct from Apple, and I was not at all impressed that the first thing it did when hooked up to my mac was go to iTunes, tell me about a software update, and then want me to pay $10 for it!! :mad::mad:

6. daxomni macrumors 6502

Add me to the list of folks who were disappointed that a brand new iPod Touch still comes with the same old 2.x OS and doesn't include any free or reduced price upgrade to 3.0. You'd think that would be offered at no extra charge considering it was already released to the public.

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I just took advantage of the back to school free ipod and just got the ipod touch yesterday. It came with 2.x. Read the notes on those that have upgraded to 3.0 and you might want to hold off spending that $10. I'm going to stick to 2.x (don't really mind paying 10 if it has features I need) for now and wait to see that 3.0 works and what is the improvement over 2.0 for the ipod touch before I upgrade.