Free Upgrade to Leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Quell, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Quell macrumors newbie

If i bought my Mac in August would i still be eligible to get the free upgrade. I don't think i am but i still jsut wanna be sure before i drop the money for it.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

First of all, 10 seconds spent searching for this info and you could have found it easily: No. There have been dozens of discussions about this. October or later.

Second, it's not free. It's $10.

3. DaleMassey macrumors member

You will be eligible for it. I bought my iMac in August and just told the form i bought it at the start of october, and its been shipped to my address.

I win.

:p

4. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Sadly, with examples like this, Up-to-date offers from Apple won't be around for much longer - sadly, you lose.

5. DaleMassey macrumors member

I've missed out on numerous Apple rebates and discounts based upon being an "early adopter" and missing out on the broad student deals that just so happened to start the day my 14 days return policy ended.
    It's only fair that i get to benefit from a discounted copy of the OS.

My moneys still going to Apple. I've paid for my computer and the operating system. It isn't as if im pirating software.

6. LydianRain macrumors newbie

True... since you're lying deliberately to obtain a copy directly from the manufacturer, it's really stealing, not piracy.

7. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Its really fraud, deceiving someone, to receive something your not entitled to.

8. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Which is why I'll reiterate, it's clear that if this continues, such promotions will be unavailable to us in the future. Be honest! For the sake of the mac community! :D

9. DaleMassey macrumors member

Ok, Ok i get your points.

One last thing to think about though.

Had Apple released Leopard back in June as they originally stated, everyone who bought a computer since then wouldve received Leopard's with their computers. Wouldnt it have been fairer if everyone who bought a Mac since their intended release date received some sort of "offer" on the new OS?

Especially as a lot of us had already bought Tiger for previous computers?

10. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

The above action seems odd. I had to input my iMac's serial number in the online order form and after the check it went ahead with the order. Serial number = production date. Correct production date = Leopard. :apple:

11. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

how about everyone who's ever bought an apple computer gets the upgrade for free, since apple did always plan on releasing upgrades!! </sarcasm>

Just cough up, its not like its as much as upgrading windows.

12. DaleMassey macrumors member

With the iMac's being the latest addition to the Mac range, a large amount of Macs will have been produced at the same time, with some sitting in inventory. With no method of determining which Macs had been kept instore or even at Apple resellers, im assuming all of the iMacs are eligible.

I also know that my friends MacMini bought at the end of June was SOMEHOW eligible for the offer.

13. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

I received my Alu Mac 3 days ago but ordered it 27 September. Never mind, I'll get the DVD in a couple of days, happy camper :D

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

No it wasn't eligible for the offer at all: just because he may have put his serial # in and got the update by lying about the purchase date doesn't make it eligible. To be eligible the machine must have a qualifying part number and been bought after October 1. I always thought you had to provide a dated sales receipt for the up to date program - don't say you created a forged sales receipt...