Free upgrade to Lepord?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mm1250, Oct 11, 2007.

1. mm1250 macrumors 6502

I want to buy a MacbookPro like today, but I know Lepord is coming end of the month. Will I get the upgrade for free or will I pay for the upgrade when it comes out?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

No...it will be free after a release date is announced (if that happens)

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I believe you have to pay for it. Unless you buy it a week before it's released

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

In the past, Apple has offered an "Up-to-date" program whereby purchasers of computers bought after the date the software is released may purchase the software at a low price. Presumably Apple will do this again so buyers are willing to buy computers that are still loaded with Tiger. Of course, they may change their minds.

5. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

You may have to wait for a week if you want a free upgrade.
    Once Leopard's release date is announced you will be given a free upgrade.

6. maninthemoon macrumors newbie

If you are planning on getting applecare and order it from powermax.com they will send you Leopard for free when it ships.

7. mcmacmcmac macrumors member

very interesting!!! Anyone know this site?? Any pros/cons ordering from them?? Better to wait for the release and order straight from Apple??

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The up-to-date program may be more limited this time if Apple does a concurrent ship along with the announcement.

Would also keep the program costs a lot lower if they did it this way, not as many upgrades to make -- or the number will be low enough they can simply nix the upgrade version altogether.

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...there have already been *several* threads regarding 'free' updates to 10.5 and the up-to-date program. I suggest searching and reading those as this issue has been asked/answered countless times already....oh yeah!

10. MAW macrumors regular

pros:

they're based in oregon so no sales tax
    free shipping on large orders
    $75 rebate off ram purchase
    FREE MP3 SUNGLASSES!!!!!:eek:

cons:

might take them longer to ship your free leopard as to fulfill all the paid orders
    they have, but that's just me speculating.

11. maninthemoon macrumors newbie

I was told the free 10.5 update from powermax is done through a rebate (you fill out the form online) that is procesed inhouse (by powermax). It can take 4 to 6 weeks for them to process the rebate. So yes you make get 10.5 later than if you wait for Apple to anounce it but you'll get your computer faster.