free upgrade to newest model or screwed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fank, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Fank macrumors member

Fank

My daughter special ordered a Macbook Pro, but with 8 gigs of ram/128hd for an extra $100. A couple days after she ordered it via Ohio State University Computer Store 'Wired Out', Apple announces new Macbook Pro comes standard with 8 gigs of ram. Is she out of luck wanting to get the newer model? The store has been telling her for days they are waiting to hear back from Apple. She needs the MBP for school and is getting flustered.

She went in this morning to pick up the computer anyway and was informed there was flooding in their basement and computers were down there and she couldn't get it until later today - she got it later today but I still think she should either have gotten the new Macbook Pro or $100 off her purchase price because she had paid extra for the additional ram.

So, what say you - is it too bad because it was a special order or should she at least get a discount on her order for the extra ram?

I think she's getting the runaround from the store, saying they haven't heard back from Apple for days now. The special order had not been delivered when the new MBP was announced.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

There should be a free return period. I suspect the store employee's are either not adequately trained, or there is some form of deception going on.

Either way, she should be able to return it for full refund since she just received it. That's what I would do, rather than fiddling around with "exchanges". Then, order it off Apple's Education online store.

One method I've used to get around difficult employees has been to call the higher authority (Apple in this case) right there in front of the employee, explain the situation politely, and ask them to speak to the store employee or manager to straighten them out. Don't leave until you have a resolution.

3. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Like mentioned above, just return it for a full refund and re-order the new model. Saves the hassle.

4. Fank thread starter macrumors member

Fank

Thank you for your replies.

Maybe 'dad' needs to talk to Apple about what this store is doing to my daughter. Perhaps they don't appreciate being licensed by Apple to sell Macs.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

It used to be that Apple's return policies to resellers was incredibly restrictive and I doubt the policies have become less so, though I no longer work for an Apple reseller so I can't say with certainty. Apple wouldn't take back custom configured computers, nor would they price protect resellers if a customer had a computer that had just been replaced with an upgraded model. Apple can't dictate a reseller's return policies. Hopefully something can be worked out, but the store is in a difficult position.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

She probably should have read up on the return policy of the store where she was purchasing the rMBP. Most Apple Authorized resellers don't allow returns on build to order computers.

Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

7. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Be wary of a restocking fee that may supersede the cost of the upgrade.

8. Greg1fraser macrumors member

Having been a manager at an Apple premium reseller, normally when a custom machine is order something is signed to say that the machine can not be returned if change of mind unless faulty

From past experience if a custom machine is ordered and apple release a new one normally the order is suspended and automatically put up to the new 1 if the machine hasn't shipped. Personally i would contact the resellers head office to explain what has happened and that you feel you are being messed around

Find out if she signed anything to prevent her from returning it

9. Fank thread starter macrumors member

Fank

turned out OK, she got a $100 app card. Thanks for input. She had stepped up from an old duo core 2 imac and is quite pleased with the macbook pro.

10. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

That $100 GC is included on the new machines as well...

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

That gift card is part of the usual back to school special Apple does nearly every year.