Free upgrade to Snow Leopard for recent buyers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by amt2002, Apr 16, 2009.

1. amt2002 macrumors member

Hi all,

I just bought a new iMac. IF Snow Leopard is released to the public in June (or even before) any idea if Apple will offer free upgrades to people who bought their systems only recently?

I seem to remember them doing this when Leopard came out for those who recently purchased a new TIGER-based system.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Free upgrades are only ever available to buyers after Apple announce that this will be the case. Usually this is about 30 days before the new OS ships. As Apple have not announced this period yet you will have to pay like everyone else.

3. amt2002 thread starter macrumors member

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, it's a pretty short time period in which you can get a free upgrade. So unless it's released in the next couple of weeks you're probably out of luck.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Generally it falls into one of two groups: those Macs purchased after the new OS is released but still loaded with the previous OS (which get a free drop-in disk), and those that bought within about 30 days prior to new OS release date (which are eligible for the Up-To-Date program, usually $9.95 to cover packaging & shipping).