Free upgrade?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by haiggy, May 22, 2008.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

Hey there,
    Ok so I was experiencing issues where my Macbook Pro would boot but nothing would display on the screen and it wouldn't display to a second monitor or anything. Dead logic board. I just got it replaced and just got it back and noticed that on the receipt thing it says under parts "Board,Logic,2.6GHZ"

Well, I booted up my computer... checked "About this Mac" and system profiler and it says 2.6 GHz Dual Core... but the thing is... this is a 2.2 GHz MacBook pro! Did they give me a free upgrade? Is the CPU located on the logic board so that they would have to order the logic board specific to the CPU speed? Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet?!?!

What do you guys think?

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Sounds like a potential screw-up by Apple on your behalf. You would normally receive the same model logic board as what you had but it's possible that they would screw up or give you the wrong part.

3. CPOStudios macrumors newbie

Looks like you are due for a sig update. Congrats.

4. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Nice, I will have to take mine to Apple soon...

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's in the warranty that the provider will replace it with an equal or greater part; looks like you got the greater; sometimes they don't have the equal in stock and they don't think you'd be unhappy with the greater, so why make you wait?

Though, shouldn't the graphics card be 256MB now?

6. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

OH WOW! I didn't even notice this.. It DOES say the 256MB one... and I thought that I had that one... WOOOOO

Wanna know the weirdest part? I had a dream last night that it was done today and they screwed up and I got more VRAM... like an upgraded graphics card. Then I was all bummed out because I was like "Oh man it was only a dream" and here it is... with the upgraded VRAM AND processor... sickkk

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Kewl. You just got a Penryn on the inside of a Merom case (yes I know there is no difference)... Congrats!!!!

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its always nice being surprised like that. be happy, and it doesn't look like a screw up, looks like thats what they had available.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No he didn't... If he got a Peryn it would 512MB VRAM.

10. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm yeah looks like I got the best possible specs from the last generation of Merom processors with 2.6 GHz (top end option if I remember correctly) and 256 MB VRAM was max at the time. Not too shabby! That's like a $500 upgrade based on their pricing scheme... all for free so I'm very pleased besides the somewhat bent case near my superdrive... :(

11. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

I also have another issue. Since I got my laptop back my external hard drive for Time Machine won't back up... it says "Backup Delayed" and under Time Machine prefs there is -- beside Oldest Backup and Failed beside Latest Backup and I click a red "i" beside it and it says that "The backup volume could not be found" yet the disk mounts, I can put files on it, the backups.backupdb folder is located on it, the right amount of space is used up.... I can't repair disk permissions in disk utility and I'm not sure why. Any ideas on how to fix it or what could be wrong? Thanks

12. Kaupa macrumors regular

Wow,
    what a nice surprise! I will get another logic board too, makes me hope!
    Well i think time machine is related to the mac adress of the book. As the board got changed so the mac adress did. Thats why the TM doesnt work anymore. Someone told me, i dont know exactly...

13. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

14. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

So "About this Mac" says that. How about system profiler? What does it say? System Profiler is a lot harder to fool. And just look at the function keys (F1-F12) on top. If you have iTunes Play/Pause buttons, it's the penryn case. Did you get multitouch, btw? I doubt that they gave you a penryn 2.6, just an SR 2.6, as the drive you have is only 160GB. Penryn doesn't even give 160 as an option anymore.

15. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

It's still my same case, just with an upgraded logic board w/ CPU and graphics card. I think it's a Merom chip but that's still okay with me I got a SWEET upgrade for free! It's pretty much like new to me :)

System Profiler says 2.6GHz as well as that it is a 256 MB VRAM graphics chip :) Also runs games significantly faster! Wooooo

16. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you have any more information on this? Really frustrating... Disk Utility says the disk is fine I'm just repairing it now but it's going to take forever.

Another thing, I used to use my microphone a lot on Ventrilo and people would complain about static and such... well now they say it is clear as day... so happy with everything except the "spacing" issue at the superdrive..

17. viggen61 macrumors 6502

How do I break mine so I can get the upgrade ???

:D

Looks like you got a good deal there. Congrats!

I bought a 4th gen click wheel iPod refurbed from Apple a couple years back. The HDD died in it :rolleyes:, and AppleCare sent me a brand new one. Same model, but it was brand new...

And back in the old days, when Macs were powered by steam, I bought (not from Apple) some 1MB DIMMs for my SE/30 which turned out to be 4MB DIMMS... (yes, kids, MEGA Bytes...)

:apple:

18. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Haha awesome :)

Anybody know if Time Machine backups are specific to MAC addresses?

Edit: Oh they also left this burned boot disc (I think?) inside of it. On the disc is written "ASD 35116" or "ASD 3S116" I can't tell. Anyone know what it's for? I'm thinking like Apple Software/Service Diagnostic CD or something

Edit: I just used a flathead screw driver to pry up the super drive slot... then it snapped into place with the top part of the casing. All is fixed! Yay :D 100% Happy... oh and I called apple about a new battery and they're sending out a replacement. Awesome :D

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes Time Machine is based on MAC addresses.

And this disc is probably some internal diagnostic disc. Wanna share it?

20. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Somebody needs to make a program or script to easily change MAC addresses like in the one tutorial posted in a thread here. One part of it the graphics looked jumbled... like the commands to type so I didn't go ahead with it. Bummer.

21. JacobC macrumors member

22. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I know how this happened... ;)

I'm not going to say cause apple will sue!

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Me too. They've done this before; I know why as well.

24. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Explanations? :)

25. amoda macrumors 6502a

Same thing happened to me about a month ago! Join the club! Did you jaw drop when you saw it? Mine did :p

Went from 2.2 128mb vram to 2.6 256mb vram, thank you Apple!