"Free" upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by compuwar, Aug 25, 2009.

1. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

So, $9.95 for a "free" upgrade with "free shipping" and $9.95 for "Shipping and Handling"- seems like a lot for handling to me (I got a Mac Pro that qualifies for the "bought since Jun 8th upgrade."

If you're giving me free shipping, shouldn't that fee be just for handling? If you're charging me 10 bucks for handling (and not for media or anything else) shouldn't that be fondling or something- seems pretty high for what should be an automated address it, box it and ship it process.

Paul

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The problem with "free" things is that people will order a bunch just because. Even if you say one per address people will still try to work around the system. Putting a somewhat trivial monetary charge on them covers the cost of the media, the shipping box, the companies time taken to prepare and ship (even if it's a robot). It basically is just a preventative measure due to the society we live in...

3. compuwar thread starter macrumors 601

compuwar

In this case though, you're limited to one per system purchased in the qualifying time period, so I'm not sure that applies.

I'm also not sure that calling it "shipping and handling" and then adding "free shipping" won't open them up to a class-action suit.

Paul

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It is handling, considering it is a buck to drop an oversized envelope at the USPS these day, $9.95 for processing at a company using "donkey express" or "oops" isn't too bad.

5. compuwar thread starter macrumors 601

compuwar

It is when you tell me that shipping is free and it's ~30% of the cost of the product. Surely Apple's software margins aren't that bad compared to the rest of the industry?

Paul

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Like most companies, people will set their minimum shipping and handling above their average shipping cost ...

Most aren't going to lower it for something like a 5 cent washer they drop in an envelope that may actually cost 50 cents to ship.

7. compuwar thread starter macrumors 601

compuwar

Yes, but if you tell me shipping is free, then (a) you shouldn't tell me the charge is for shipping and handling and (b) handling shouldn't be 30% of the cost of the item.

8. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

They tell you shipping is free so that you don't think that there is an additional cost beyond that of $9.95. Would you rather they list it as "Free" only to have a $9.95 shipping charge tacked on when you go to buy it?

Either complain and don't buy it, or accept the charge, understanding that it cost money to make and ship, and enjoy it

9. compuwar thread starter macrumors 601

compuwar

I'd rather they didn't tell me shipping was free and they were charging me for it- it's inconsistent. I've ordered it despite the fact that I could simply use a dev copy, but the inconsistency is bad and the costs aren't shipping and handling, they're upgrade costs- the store software just isn't good enough to handle the product. That's a flaw and the inconsistent wording is the kind of stuff that draws Apple into lawsuits, they should fix it.

Paul

10. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Yes, the costs ARE shipping and handling, along with the $1 or so it cost to press the disc and package it. It's a universal price, so no matter where you live (in the US) its $9.95. If it was "Free" with a shipping calculator, the price wouldn't be even for everyone.

Complain about it all you like, but I think everyone would agree that your points are moot

11. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

just be happy that you're paying 1/3 of the regular upgrade price.

i got my UTD qualified and i sure am happy to be paying $9.95 vs paying $29.

12. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Upgrade

Well at least this "free" upgrade is half of the price of my $19.95 "free" upgrade that I got for my 10.2.x to 10.3 Panther upgrade.