Free video capture software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hugbees, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Hugbees macrumors regular

Are there any video capture programs that capture video, sound, and can be used for free with no annoying watermarks? I know that's a lot to ask for 1 program but I know they exist for windows, and one has to exist for Mac somewhere.

I've tried Snapz Pro X, but that was only for 15 days. It was pretty good, but now I need something else :p

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So you want to record what is happening on your computer screen?

Video capture alludes to many things.

Maybe you should edit your thread title appropriately.

Do you have Mac OS X 10.6? If so, QT X will allow you to record your computer screen, also MRoogle will find you plenty of threads about this issue.

3. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

I thought recording whats on your screen was video capture? Anyhow. I do have 10.6 so I will try that, thank you.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

"Video Capture" means capturing of video, as the computer screen displaying the OS is not displaying a "video" (except when you really watch a video (movie or something on YouTube)), the recording of what is happening on screen is called "screen recording".

Video Capture will record video from a variety of sources, like cameras, video players, TV signals, .... - video.

Your OS is not a video.

5. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

Well thanks for clearing that up.

Now in Quicktime, the recording works but I'm not getting any sound. I want the sound being played on my screen to get recorded as well. Doing an audio recording at the same time does not work either.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What do you want to record?

Your sound and what is happening on the screen, or a streaming video with sound?

You may try AudioHijack if it is the latter, in combination with QT X though.
    Maybe there is another way to download that video....

7. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I'm trying to do a "Let's Play" on youtube, and even though I'd mostly be recording myself talking I'd like the game's sound effects and music to be in the background.