Free video editing software - Davinci Resolve

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fig, Jun 29, 2017.

1. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

For anyone contemplating buying Premiere, Final Cut, etc., you can grab the slightly older version of Davinci Resolve from their website for free:
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/edit

It should do you for pretty much any personal project and even a lot of pro ones, it's a pretty fully featured package.

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

You mean
    DaVinci Resolve 12.5?

3. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

That would be the one, download link at the bottom of that page.

4. dwig macrumors 6502

To be precise, it is currently (2017-07-06) v12.5.6 and is their "current" version, not an older version. There is also a "public beta" available of their next version, v14, available. It seems from their forums and the many YouTube tutorials and demos that a large number of users have moved to the public beta of 14.

For both v12.5.6 and v14 (beta) there are basic free versions and a "studio" version that costs. They are selling v12.5.6 Studio and there is a button to "upgrade" to the v14 public beta.

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Ok thanks.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2017 ---
    Good to know. Thanks.

6. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

Good info, thanks!

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I was wondering, is this always free?

8. dwig macrumors 6502

From the wording on their site and what I've read elsewhere, it appears that it is their current marketing plan to have a basic free version and a paid advanced "Studio" version. It is not a temporary promotion, but permanent, though they could change their mind at some later date.

9. campyguy macrumors 68030

BlackMagic has offered its "Resolve" app as a "free" or "no-cost" option", and has for years - I've used it for years and still am a bit stunned that it's free. Their v.14 beta Studio has pretty much blown me away so far. Resolve has been free for at least a few years, but I'm considering ponying up for their Studio version once it's official.

BlackMagic's DaVinci Resolve Studio is their paid app, and always has been a paid app or included with hardware. Until a few months ago BlackMagic was charging $1k for v12.5, until they announced their new $300 price point for the updated suite (that's now in beta), and now they've slashed the price for v12.5.

I've never received an email or call from BlackMagic for an upsell from their free Resolve app. IMHO both FCPX and Resolve are the best deals in NLE video editing today, and for the past few years.

10. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Ok thanks.