free VOIP client?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FortWorthMac, Mar 9, 2009.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

I have never had a need for VOIP until know.

Last month I ditched my landline as we wern't ever using it anymore. Well after doing so I remembered that my Fantasy Baseball draft is next month and we do that via a conference call as we have league members from all over the US.

Now, I could use my iPhone (and I may have to) but we all know all the iPhone has some issues with dropped calls from time to time.

So I was wondering if there anything on the market that would allow me make calls via VOIP on my Mac? Ideally free or even a 30 day free trail.

Thanks
    David

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Those are the two that come to mind fastest. Neither is "free" for calling a phone number, but if you can convince your fantasy league to sign up, you may be able to do the conference call free in a computer-computer room of some sort.

Sorry, I don't have specifics for you.

Brian

3. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Brian.

I was looking at the rates on Skype and for a 6 hour phone call that would only be about $7.00. If I'm reading the fineprint right. (0.02/min). That's cheaper then my long distance rate was last year on my landline. So that may be the way to go.

Another question in regards to Skype on the Mac. I have a newer model iMac (bought it this past October). I should be able to use Skype without headphones right? I know the one time I used iChat I didn't need a headphone so this screen has a mic built into it someplace. <G>

Based on that one would think Skype would work w/o headphones but I just don't want any surprises come draft day.

Thanks again,
    David

4. mik34 macrumors member

Use Skypeout

I use Skypeout as my landline at home. $3 per month, unlimited calls to landlines and cell phones in the US and Canada. Skype is free if the other person also has Skype.

Also, I do not use a mic or headphone. I just use my iMac's mic and the external speakers I have attached. Works great and my iMac is early 2006 (first intel iMac).

5. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I guess I can afford $3.00 to check it out. <G>

I'll give it a try in the next day or two and see what happens.

Thanks all for the feedback.

David

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

7. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Fully and whole-heartedly agree!. And yes, you can use the built-in mic and built in speakers. In fact I think they are selected in Skype preferences by default.

Should you decide you want to move about, you can also connect bluetooth headset to your mac, then go into skype prefs and use that instead.

I pay $29.00 per year for calls to any landline or cell phone in the US and Canada. Well worth the money. And honestly international rates are darn good too.

Best

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Personally I think you are better off using a proper VoIP service (SIP based) rather than Skype because of better call quality and cheaper prices.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Works without headphone. Works better with headphone because headphone prevents the other people from hearing themselves.

You can wear any headphone, and use the integrated microphone.

Skype works well for me.

10. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies. I'm signed up with Skype and all seems to be working. Couple of other questions for that more related to the service itself.

Should there be any problems dialing into a "conference call"? I'm not sure what company we use but we always dial an "712" number then enter an access code. Not sure why it wouldn't but I just don't want any surprises come daft day.

Also, how about reliability? Our draft generally lasts about 4-5 hours. Should one expect any downtime during that 4-5 hours?

Thanks again,
    David

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've found Skype to be very reliable on a good connection. Several hours shouldn't be a problem.

12. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great, thanks.

David

13. MacAttack85 macrumors newbie

MacAttack85

Hi dave, My friend uses this program called VOIP stunt on her PC.
    http://www.voipstunt.com/en/download.html. I had a quick look and they also have Mac & Linux versions. She seems to use it quite fequently, when the trial runs out she just creates a new account ;). this will also allow you to call landlines. I have not used it in years, so I do not know if still free or not.

14. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Wow, not quite the most honest approach, but ok then....Ha!