Free VPN

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tom Foolery, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

I'm looking for a free vpn. either via network in system prefs or via 3rd party app. i have found a great one called hotspot shield but i went over the monthly limit.

please, i welcome all comments and sudjestions

2. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

Ummm...a VPN client?? If so, what brand/kind of VPN do you need to connect to?

If you are looking to set up a whole new vpn, you might want to consider Openvpn and the Mac client Tunnelblick.

http://openvpn.net/index.php

http://www.tunnelblick.net/

Cheers

3. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

4. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

From the Tunnelblick webpage:

Installation:
    To install Tunnelblick, download Tunnelblick-Universal-3.0b6.dmg, mount the dmg file and move Tunnelblick.app to your Applications folder. For security reasons, on first startup, as well as when changes to the configuration files have been made, it will ask you for your login password. Tunnelblick will look for OpenVPN configuration files in Library/openvpn in your home folder, so copy your files there. Should this folder not exist, Tunnelblick will create it for you and populate it with an example config file which can be edited to your liking.
    To uninstall Tunnelblick, simply move it to the trash.

5. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

i've got it installed and i have the example file i just don't know what to get the vpn working

6. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

You will need to connect to a vpn server to authenticate. So, the question is do you have a vpn server to authenticate to? Once you have a server that you will connect to, you should have a config file that you will place in the above mentioned directory. Are you trying to connect to you workplace over the vpn? If so, then your system administrator should be able to provide you with the correct file if you are using an ssl vpn like openvpn/tunnelblick otherwise he will have to get you the correct vpn client. If you are setting up a home vpn, then you will have to have your own vpn server

7. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

i'm doing this at home so would, how do i go about getting this setup

8. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

http://openvpn.net/index.php/documentation/howto.html#quick

It's a bit of work if you are not familiar with the command line and you will need to set up a linux server for this. I don't know what you are using it for, but if you want to say why you are connection and what you would like to see (do you want the full mac desktop or are you happy with just having an ssh session (only command line)?)

You may want to look into just using Apple's remote desktop depending on your needs.

9. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

uhh now i'm kinda lost. i live in canada and i want to access videos only available in america, such as hulu. i have been able to do this through hotspot shield but the bandwidth is very limited. that is why i want to set up a vpn. but obviously this isn't a perfect world and i'm sure there is some reason why this won't work

10. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

you don't need a vpn for that...

11. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

12. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

Hotspot shield no longer works for me, or they've fixed the abc site in a certain way to prevent it working for so long.

13. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

You can try using an http proxy that is located inside the United States. You will have to google to find one.

14. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

but proxies don't work with flash, so i can't watch videos

15. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

Sorry, don't know what to tell you then. This is not something that I have ever bothered with, so I am out of ideas. Have you tried to use bittorrent to download the shows?

16. titimasc macrumors newbie

Did you find a work around?

Hi Mithc! im having the same problem as you. Hotspot shield was working fine until last week. Did you find a workaround?

17. titimasc macrumors newbie

Mitch i found a way around it! I downloaded Ultrasurf at http://www.ultrareach.com/.

Good luck!

18. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

If you're gonna spam to advocate some Windows malware, why on earth would you choose MacRumors?

19. lantzda macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, here’s a couple of alternative VPN solutions http://alternativeto.net/desktop/tor/?platform=mac&sort=likes
    Haven’t had time to test them myself so please let me know how it goes

20. rosasalvaje macrumors newbie

Free VPN service for Mac in China

I need help. I am in China for two months for work. I can't access so many sites that I need from China. Does anyone know which free VPN and how to setup from China. I tried Itshidden and UltraVPN but I can't connect to it from China. Maybe I didn't get the setting right or it is also blocked from China. Help please. Thank you so much.

21. john1984 macrumors newbie

22. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

I'd personally be a bit leary about using a free VPN service. The question you have to ask yourself is what's in it for them? If you do find one, I'd think twice about using it for anything that I really wanted to be secure beyond TV.

I have a paid one in the UK to get BBC services. It's a fiver a month so pretty reasonable. I'd imagine they have something similar in the US.

23. vpntraffic macrumors newbie

24. tarzan009 macrumors newbie

25. anchorfree macrumors newbie

Hotspot shield in itunes app store.

Hey everyone. Hotspot Shield for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch is available in the iTunes Appstore now. You can try it for free :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.