Free Ways to Get into iPhone Programming

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Posimotion, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Posimotion macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have been doing some consulting with several people who are trying to break into the world of iPhone development. I can only take them so far and since most of them are strapped on a shoestring budget, they want some free literature to spring board from. I have been sending them to the Apple white papers and certain netcasts that I have, but was wondering what you all felt was a great free resource? Thanks peeps.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

3. ethical macrumors 68000

The Stanford videos are good providing you have some experience of programming... otherwise they may go too fast and make assumptions that you wont understand (that's what I found).

The Steve Kochan book really isnt expensive... if they can spare £25 (I think) then it's well worth it.

Otherwise if they really are trying to go at it for free I found a useful pdf called Become An XCoder - it's Objective-C based so doesnt look at the iPhone GUI, but for learning the core ideas it's really good. Not sure where I found it though, do a search and it will come up.

4. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

I have both the older (2.x) and newer (3.x) version of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPhone-Development-Exploring-SDK/dp/1430216263

I'd be happy to ship them the older one. no charge... but they are welcome to buy one of my apps :)

5. Posimotion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all the great responses guys and gals. I completely lapsed on the Stanford videos. I have never watched all of them but, it is good to know they are for the more technical crowd. Does anyone know of a wiki of some sorts that dev's can get together, chat and share code?

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

"You're soaking in it."