Free web gallery that works with iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Integer, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Integer macrumors newbie

I like iPhoto, and have a considerable number of photos in my library. I'd like to be able to share photos online, so that my friends and family can access/download them - but so they're hidden from anyone else (just for reasons of privacy).

I've tried:

1. .mac web gallery: incredibly slow. From reading elsewhere on the forums, this is a general issue outside the US. Also, you have to password protect each album separately, which means that the list of albums doesn't have a picture for each album, which isn't nice.

2. Picasa. Looks great, iPhoto exporter plugin works great...but I can't restrict access to a group of albums. It appears that all I can do is hide individual albums and send out emails with authorized links...I don't want to have to do that for all my private albums!

3. Flickr. This looks like it does exactly what I want - albeit I've had to wrestle with it for a while. BUT: it has a free limit of 200 photos, after which I have to pay; and I'll also have to pay for the iPhoto exporter if I want to use it for more than 2 weeks.

I may bite the bullet and pay to use Flickr, but before I do, can anyone advise me of any other free photo hosting services that do what I want? Basically:

1. Export easily from iPhoto
    2. Make a number of galleries private so they can be easily browsed by people I nominate as friends/family.

(Or alternatively: is there a way to wrestle .mac or Picasa to do what I want?)

2. whyrichard macrumors 68000

... maybe have two picassa web album accounts... one private one public?

r.

3. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Um.. how much is the paid Flickr? If it works out to less than $0.28 per day over a year, then I'd just get a .Mac account instead.

You can pick & choose different users for your Web Galleries (specific users like "George" can see galleries A, C & F only and so on), and nothing integrates better with iPhoto.

Plus, the web hosting, the email, the iChat, the Back to my Mac, the public drop box...

4. Integer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses.

Can you make the whole account private? I couldn't work out how to do that...

I already have a .Mac account :). The thing is, the web galleries are agonizingly slow to load here in the UK. That disappointed me - I forwarded some links to people and they commented on how long it took to view a gallery page.

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

be sure to feed that back to Apple

6. ekologik macrumors newbie

how does one use picasa with mac? i can't see the option, it seems to be only for windows, maybe i'm missing something...

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

8. ekologik macrumors newbie

i've figured it out. :p thanks anyway.

picasa, flickr, and other supported albums (facebook included) is actually cooler with this firefox add-on called piclens. there's one for safari that people seem to like too, but someone said that the 3-D isn't supported. google it, it's pretty rad.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

There is a facebook plugin for iPhoto, if you're already on that.

10. ekologik macrumors newbie

totally, I love that thing!