Free Webhosts?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by lindahl22, Dec 20, 2008.

1. lindahl22 macrumors member

Hello, I am looking for a free webhost that can allow me to have more than 1GB of space, 15MB .mp3 files, and no ads.

sitesled.com and 110mb.com would be fine, but sitesled is only 500MB, and 110mb.com kicked me off because I had to much files and not enough bandwidth, they said I was fine, but this would happen again to keep off leechers...(they can't analyze site content)

This would be for my NonProfit Church, westminsteraustin.com ...

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

How is a hosting business which hosts content for free suppose to make money without ads?

Sorry, you're not going to find anything.

But for >$10 a month you will find plenty of great hosts that will do just fine.

3. lindahl22 thread starter macrumors member

Well sitesled would of worked if the site was smaller, and if I get more people to the site I could use 110mb... I just thought there would be others like these two hosters...

4. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

5. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

problem is that they dont support websites built by iWeb and other applications

i use www.zymic.com they work best for me and i believe they give 1GB of space. i dont remember. but i am currently using it right now

6. lindahl22 thread starter macrumors member

Zymic is a great choice! They have 5GB for every account and you have have unlimited accounts!
    However, Can I use my own domain that I already own?
    But they won't let me have .mp3s, and I need those, so the search continues...

7. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Thanks for the info on Zymic.com

I am less than 1 month from the end of my GoDaddy hosting period and their rates are much higher than when I paid for 2 years of hosting back in Jan 2007.

I don't need all the features of a full web host and Zymic may fit in with exactly what I need for my 2 domains. 5GB of free space to host and my site is currently only 320mb! Nice.

8. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I figured I'd post a quick update here. After just a few weeks I'd recommend against Zymic. They have had constant uptime issues. Their speeds are horrible most of the time.

I tried 000webhost.com but their locked down PHP.ini settings prevents iWeb sites from working without hacking the HTML code for every single page. Too bad since their service seems to be good.

The saying is true, you get what you pay for.

9. theappleguy macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, that's the case with most free hosts - and unfortunately some paid hosts if you're not careful, so if you're looking for paid hosting I'd recommend purchasing based on recommendations rather than only based on price.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

What about very inexpensive hosting, like Nearly Free Speech? You'd have to do the math to see what the costs would add up to based on your expected bandwidth usage.

11. lindahl22 thread starter macrumors member

To give another update, the best site are the following:

Sitesled: If your site is under .5GB and less than 100GB Bandwith, NO restrictions

110mb: Allows 5GB site, and 300GB Bandwidth. Pay $20 once to get unlimited file formats, and .htacess.
    However if you site is more than 1GB you need more than 30GB Bandwidth, or they will kick you off for file hosting...

Quotaless: This is the best choice, for me at least. Almost everything is allowed, and everything is virtually unlimited. Once you have posted 50 times in the forums you get a cpanel account, which is what I am using now...

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

bluehost.com

You are saying they cannot afford $7 a month?

13. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

14. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

15. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

$6 a month @ e2. I think you'll get better customer service if you use a host that you do spend money on - that's not hard and fast but I've heard a couple things about 000WebHost.

Server space really is cheap enough for what you get.

16. jakeOSX macrumors regular

i use webair and tsohost (they used to be zesthost)

both are great for support and uptime, and fairly cheep too (i pay less than $10 a month on each host)

forgot something. i reccommend NOT having your host be the company you buy your URL through. (ESP godaddy) you want the ownership of the URL to be in your hands, not someone else's. i use directnic, but there are plenty out there.

17. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

bluehost has $5 plans if you go there from affiliate sites

18. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

So you want to "host mp3s" AND you don't want to pay a dime.....

Lesson to budding business people:

Like Apple in the under $500 space, STAY OUT OF THE LOW END market... unless you want to deal with headaches and cheapskates all day long...

19. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Did you go back to GoDaddy and tell them your leaving because of rate increase's ? Just asking, I have heard they bend over backwards to keep people, myself I use A Small Orange.

Tell the Jarhead that owns the company why your leaving and see what happens

p.s. I am a retired "Marine" / "Jarhead"