Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Boingo Wireless announced that they will be giving iPhone users free Wifi access at 13 North American Airports for the month of August.
This special limited time offer is available to all iPhone owners who access the Wi-Fi networks with their iPhone, giving them an introduction to the world’s largest aggregated Wi-Fi network. iPhone owners who like what they see can sign up for and use a Boingo account to access hundreds of partner networks comprising 100,000+ hotspots.

The Airports included:

AZO – Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport
BNA – Nashville International Airport,
BWI – Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport,
DTW – Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport,
EWR – Newark Liberty International Airport,
JFK – John F. Kennedy International Airport,
LGA – LaGuardia Airport,
MDW – Midway International Airport,
MSP – Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport,
OKC – Will Rogers World Airport,
ORD – O’Hare International Airport,
STL – Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, and
YYZ – Toronto Pearson International Airport.

Article Link

colemanj4

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Toronto?!

Damnit! Stop rubbing it in my face that I can't get an iPhone in Canada, because Rogers has a retarded monopoly!:mad:

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Hell No!

You've gotta be kidding. When will companies learn nobody wants to purchase wi-fi. I mean, I could donate just $1 and use any McDonalds' wi-fi. Have I? Hell NO! and I never will pay for wi-fi. There is no reason why wi-fi cant be free for everyone, it's extreamly cheap to setup and maintain, and the monthly fees for providing it come nowhere close to justify charging for it.

Boingo’s low-priced service plans – a $21.95 Unlimited

Get real.

-------------
Running unsecured 108G for all my neighbors. Do I care if the feds come for me instead of my neighbors? No, ignorance is definetly an excuse.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
All airports should have free wifi. It is ridiculous to charge people to use the Internet while they wait for a flight. Buying a ticket should give you access since doing that will make the airport money in one way or another. I know some out there, like SMF in Sacramento now have free wireless and with the increasing number of people with laptops and smartphones with wifi, more airports should also be offering wifi free.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
"13 Major Airports"

AZO – Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport

One of these things is not like the others... :D

Agreed that airport Wi-Fi should be free, but it is nice to see Boingo springing up as a competitor to the established Wi-Fi offerings in airports.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
There are plenty of airports that already offer free wifi, at least in my area. I think communities and airports should adopt a strategy like this:

http://www.fred-ezone.com/

Fredericton has been building and expanding a free municipal wifi network for the last four years. It originally started as a scheme to attract more business to the area, but now they're looking at wifi as something that should be a municipal utility and freely available to all residents.

It was weird when I moved out of Fredericton for the summer and, all of a sudden, I couldn't just open my laptop anywhere and get on the internet :(

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I think Heathrow has free wi-fi, although i could be wrong, it seems stupid to not make wi-fi free, its like its a public service now, you get free wifi in london and possibly bristol...

It would be easy for a small wireless start up company to install the kit for free and then have free advertising, everyone wins...

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
I thought YYZ had free wireless already? When I took my last flight out of there to LAX (June 06) I opened up my laptop and was pleasantly surprised. Could have just gotten lucky anyone know for sure?

NeilD

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2007
Just to let you guys know: McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas, NV has free wifi for all, and has had it for while. One more reason to visit Vegas.

There is also a big list of airports that have free wifi here.

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
Since we're compiling a list, CMH (Columbus OH) also has free WiFi, but at the speeds it runs at, it should almost pay you.

Oh, and CID (Cedar Rapids IA) does as well, as does Powell River BC (Don't ask). Knock yourself out next time you're there.

TheNumberOneFan

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
nothing i hate more than seeing open wi-fi somewhere and starting use it only to be greeted by a "sign-in" page

who even pays for wifi

techster82

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2006
If I remember correctly Charlotte, as well as Dulles both had free wifi when I flew threw there a couple of weeks ago.

ct-scan

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
Edge

The EDGE network on the iPhone isn't that bad that I would subscribe or pay for WiFi network access.

I know Paneras give away free WiFi, maybe their airport locations do too :)

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
who even pays for wifi

I paid for wifi once and only once. I was on my way out of a hotel, and I suddenly realised that I didn't have the information I needed for my flight. With no time to spare, I whipped out my laptop hoping for a wireless network...there was one, but it charged $15/hour. I paid $15 to use it for two minutes. I was not impressed.

ScottW-CO

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Yes, someone ELSE should be paying for YOUR free data access. It's the American Way!

On top that, someone ELSE should pay for your food, your rent, your car, your gas, your beer, etc. etc...

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
Yes, someone ELSE should be paying for YOUR free data access. It's the American Way!

Who's American?

On top that, someone ELSE should pay for your food, your rent, your car, your gas, your beer, etc. etc...

Where I come from, it's a municipal service for which we pay through taxes :rolleyes: Airports could certainly find a way to turn free wifi to their advantage.

ajhill

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
iPhone is still in it's cocoon!

With Apple in bed with Google now the real story of the iPhone is yet to come. Google's CEO is on Apple's board of directors and google maps and search are a big part of the iPhone. But the biggest tech story of 2007 has barely been covered.

Google is bidding for the rights to the spectrum that is now analog TV. Combine that with a huge network of dark fiber that Google installed a few years back. And that adds up to a company that is looking to replace ISPs with GoogleNet users. By law the access has to be free (part of the license agreement) and it will most likely be ad revenue supported.

For Apple that means that the iPhone will most likely be tied in through some sort of Google VOIP solution.

It's all part of Google's master plan to takeover the world ;)

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Already free wifi at BDL (Bradley - Hartford/Springfield)

I remember reading something once that compared free wifi to air conditioning from years ago, and how it was used as a selling feature to get people to use a particular theater, restaurant, etc...I can definitely agree with that comparison.

Thankfully more & more establishments are seeing the benefit of offering free wifi to gain customers. There are a lot of times that free wifi was the deciding factor in where I ate a meal or what hotel I chose.

I think companies like Boingo target business travelers who don't care about the fee since they don't have to pay it...

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
:mad:Nothing on the west coast?
I fly up and down the coast all the time for work, but looks like I'm out of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.