Free Windows 7 through University?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ThirtyThr33, Aug 26, 2011.

1. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Hello again MR,

I saw a member post a link to some weird microsoft branch website in which you could see if your university/college was eligible to give students free microsoft office, windows 7, etc...

I discovered the link in a thread sometime in July but never saved it (stupid me) Does anyone know which website it was? Kudos to whoever finds it as this is a ridiculous post I know, but I appreciate it all the same.

2. gorskiegangsta, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I got a free Windows 7 licence at my university's IT department.

EDIT: Found the link to the website I used to sign up for a free licence key: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic
    Use the MSDN Academic Alliance School Search to find your school and see if you're eligible. If I remember correctly, you'll [might] also need to obtain an access code from your school's IT dept.

EDIT 2: Once you obtain a licence key from Microsoft, you'll be given a link to download Windows 7 iso (I got a licence key to Windows 7 Professional version) and you should also be able to request an iso DVD from your IT dept. (again, depending on your school).
    In any case, I would try to contact your school first. It is possible that you can skip the registration with Microsoft. I got my second licence key directly from my University.

3. goMac macrumors 603

Check with your University. Depending on which academic promotion it is, they might have to be the ones to sign you up.

4. unixperience macrumors regular

Yeah i got a few copies of windows through there, and some office extensions.

I do highly recommend seeing if your department has CD media you can check out, because the installers from the site are .exe so you can't even download anything unless you have a windows machine accesible