Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThirtyThr33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Boulder, Colorado
Hello again MR,

I saw a member post a link to some weird microsoft branch website in which you could see if your university/college was eligible to give students free microsoft office, windows 7, etc...

I discovered the link in a thread sometime in July but never saved it (stupid me) Does anyone know which website it was? Kudos to whoever finds it as this is a ridiculous post I know, but I appreciate it all the same.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I got a free Windows 7 licence at my university's IT department.

EDIT: Found the link to the website I used to sign up for a free licence key: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic
Use the MSDN Academic Alliance School Search to find your school and see if you're eligible. If I remember correctly, you'll [might] also need to obtain an access code from your school's IT dept.

EDIT 2: Once you obtain a licence key from Microsoft, you'll be given a link to download Windows 7 iso (I got a licence key to Windows 7 Professional version) and you should also be able to request an iso DVD from your IT dept. (again, depending on your school).
In any case, I would try to contact your school first. It is possible that you can skip the registration with Microsoft. I got my second licence key directly from my University.

Last edited:

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Check with your University. Depending on which academic promotion it is, they might have to be the ones to sign you up.

unixperience

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
Yeah i got a few copies of windows through there, and some office extensions.

I do highly recommend seeing if your department has CD media you can check out, because the installers from the site are .exe so you can't even download anything unless you have a windows machine accesible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.