Free Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Rocco83, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Rocco83 macrumors 6502

I'm looking to install Windows to be able to play a few games not playable through Mac OS. OS there a way to get XP or Win 7 free? Really not interested in paying $200+ for the OS just to play some games.

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You should be able to get one if you're a student majoring in something IT related and your university participates in Microsoft's program (Academic Alliance?).

Other than that, no.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

I'm sure you could get a vista license for free from people who downgraded to XP.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

To get a full license, for free, it would have to be provided by your employer for work purposes, from a college's MSDN service, or stolen (which is evil and wrong). You could try Wine, which allows you to run many Windows apps in OS X, but it is really hit-and-miss with games, or CrossOver for Mac, which should work with most games.

TEG

6. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

you can get a copy of windows 7 home from newegg for 89 dollars. thats not an out of this world price to pay imho.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Actually, if your needs are really temporary, you can download an official ISO from a Microsoft partner and use that without a product key for up to 30 days (extendable to 120 days).

EDIT: http://www.mydigitallife.info/downl...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

EDIT: http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/use-any-version-of-windows-7-free-for-120-days/

You are far better off buying a license properly though. The amount of time you would waste doing this quickly adds up.

Though any license of Windows you can get for ~$100 is of questionable legitimacy (I didn't say legality or that it wouldn't work) on a Mac as it would be either OEM or Retail Upgrade.

B

8. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

the windows home i quoted is an oem and is tied to the machine you install it on.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, but as an end user you can't accept the System Builder License under which it is sold which requires you to resell they computer you install it on to an unrelated third party. Follow the link on the NewEgg listing and read the license for yourself.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_for_hobbyists.aspx

EDIT: And further down the page:

EDIT: Disclaimer from NewEgg on the details tab:

B

10. Rocco83 thread starter macrumors 6502

So is jaywalking, I'm not losing sleep over that.

I may give the $89 version a look. I'm not going to resell it, but whatever version is cheaper. Personally I won't lose sleep over shortchanging a company worth over $200 billion out of $100.
    For those of you who want to step up on your soapbox and preach about illegality and piracy don't bother. It falls on deaf ears. If it was the OS I wanted to use for everything other than a few games I'd have no problem shelling out the money for it.

Guess I'll give CrossOver a go.