free .wmv converters?

afornander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
are there any free apps out there that will convert .wmv files to .mov? flip 4 mac will, but that leaves a stupid add on the whole movie.

thanks!

afornander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
no. .WMV cannot be converted by quicktime (pro), not without flip4mac, but flip 4 mac still ads a stupid TRIAL thing to all of the movies that are converted that aren't already supported by quicktime .try it yourself. get your facts right!

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Don't blast people for not "getting their facts right." Not all versions of Flip4Mac add that logo to their output - I exported several videos with 1.2 and never saw it, although I am indeed seeing it now with 2.1.

Comment

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
well, i think isquint can convert wmv, but i think it needs flip4mac installed. the thing i'm confused about is whether you need to use the paid version or the free version.

Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
afornander said:
no. .WMV cannot be converted by quicktime (pro), not without flip4mac, but flip 4 mac still ads a stupid TRIAL thing to all of the movies that are converted that aren't already supported by quicktime .try it yourself. get your facts right!
To follow-up Nermal, the user does not have to pay for Flip4Mac except to convert to .wmv. The user has to pay for QuickTime Pro which is directly relevant to the OP.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
MisterMe said:
To follow-up Nermal, the user does not have to pay for Flip4Mac except to convert to .wmv. The user has to pay for QuickTime Pro which is directly relevant to the OP.
The OP is actually correct in that 2.1 adds a "trial" message to WMV > MOV conversions.

Comment

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
afornander said:
are there any free apps out there that will convert .wmv files to .mov? flip 4 mac will, but that leaves a stupid add on the whole movie.

thanks!
Try this site. It allows for free converting of just about any format.

Comment

mfriel536

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
macbook pro and wmv files

I have several wmv files and am unable to open them on my MacBook Pro.
How can I overcome this?

Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mfriel536 said:
I have several wmv files and am unable to open them on my MacBook Pro.
How can I overcome this?
You might try sharing a little more information:

Have you installed Flip4Mac? If not, then do so.
What is the codec was used to encode your problematic files? VLC can give this information even if it can't play them.
Are your files DRMed? Is so, then nothing on the Mac can play them.

Comment