Free Wordpress vs. Paid Wordpress????

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jayeskreezy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Ok so I currently have a blogger, but I feel limited. I want my blog to look more like a website. I have a domain name and web hosting for a year. I am considering a free wordpress simply b/c I can transfer my stuff from blogger over. Can I do that if I set up a wordpress through my web hosting company? I'm confused.

2. SelfMadeCelo macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

You can either have a blog on Wordpress.com or you can download it from Wordpress.org and install it on your server. If you install it on your server you can still import all of your posts without a problem. I've never had a Wordpress.com account but I assume you would have a lot more control if you install it on your own server. You can have any plugins/themes you want!

3. dantherevelator macrumors regular

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As an example of how much it costs to run a relatively low traffic website; I get about 400 page loads a day and my provider, NearlyFreeSpeech, charges me about 4 cents a day at that rate. In addition they charge a storage fee ($.01/day), SQL process fee ($.01/day), and a privacy protection fee ($.01/day). So on an average of $.07/day, it's costing me around $2/month to run. Pretty manageable as far as the costs go.

5. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah my issue was that I already paid for a web hosting package for a personal website that I just hadn't set up. Anyway, I decided to set up a wordpress site with my hosting company. Now I'm just looking for a good template to use and customize.

6. diemos macrumors 6502

buy a domain, get cheap hosting and download FREE wordpress which gives you EVERYTHING you need and more. No point of paying for it, IMO.

7. torndownunit macrumors regular

If you currently have hosting, it's a good idea to just check if they have Fantastico or EasyApps (or something similar) setup already. Usually in their control panel. It makes the installation a once click process. Most hosting companies have something like that setup now.

8. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, that's what I did yesterday. I'm just trying to find a good template now. Thanks!