Free wordprocessor that opens WordPerfect??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aniej, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I do not need a whole office suite, rather I simply want the ability to smoothly open and edit WordPerfect documents. The only thing that is essential to me is that the formatting remains the same when the file is opened either on a PC that is using WordPerfect or in the application I hope you suggest. To be clear, I am not looking for a suite quite the size of NeoOffice, but rather just an application that can provide the functionality I described above.

Thanks a bunch.

p.s. don't laugh that I'm asking for wordperfect help, it's not my fault the whole federal judiciary still uses it!:)

2. als1626 macrumors newbie

Wanted to bump this because I'm having the same problem - interestingly, it's because I can't open a document on the DOJ's website. Your government dollars at work.

I've read about Abiword but it doesn't seem to have a downloadable version for Leopard - it says it's only compatible for OS X 10.2 through 10.4. Anyone have any suggestions for those of us stuck in the federal legal time warp?

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

neooffice.org

4. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

5. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

Quite honestly those recommendations don't help in the slightest. I am always appreciative of any help someone can give small or large, but it's kind of annoying when my question clearly asked for alternatives to NeoOffice. I mean, just take a minute and read the question, not just the caption.

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Dude that's the thing. there are not many, if any, other alternatives that fit you criteria.

Neoffice might be big but it is the closest thing you are going to get to working with wordperfect files.

If you could better explain why you need the files to always stay compatible and in the Wordperfect format maybe we could suggest alternatives.

7. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

8. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

From my original post...

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have been given three excellent alternatives: OpenOffice, its Java-based sibling NeoOffice, and AbiWord. Three alternatives are a lot, but there are no others. You appear to have rejected each alternative for no apparent reason. Your response to the help that you have been given is a turn-off.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

More alternatives

There are some other alternatives.
    1) Run WordPerfect itself on Windows in either a virtual machine (like Q Emulator, Parallels or VMWare) or in BootCamp.
    2) Run WordPerfect for Linux in a Linux Virtual Machine. I once had a WordPerfect for Linux disc, but could never get it to work - the license number would never validate. However, there are likely some used versions running around.
    3) Also, isn't there something like "WINE" for Mac that mimics a Windows environment enough to run a Windows application on a Mac without actually virtualizing a PC?

These may not be great alternatives, but they are alternatives, eh?

If NeoOffice is too complex of a solution for the OP, then a virtual PC running WordPerfect is probably not going to work either.

If there was a modern version of WordPerfect that was available for Mac when I switched over I would have been very very happy. I really liked the way the WordPerfect suite worked (insert found memories here).

Cheers

11. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Well said.

12. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

I don't see why you can't open it in NeoOffice and resave as another format. Then open it with something else. What _I_ don't see is how these recommendations DON'T help.

13. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I don't see how AbiWord doesn't fit your needs. It's a stand-alone program and it can open WordPerfect files.

14. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

I don't understand why you have to open AND edit WordPerfect documents; why can't you convert it to another format supported by your favorite word processor?

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, if the DOJ requires WordPerfect format, then you need to provide them with WordPerfect documents.

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

17. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

What happened to the OP? I wonder if any of this helped?

18. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Oh yeah we should probably mention that it works fine on Leopard. The website probably hasn't been updated to include this fact.

However, I'm not actually sure you can save to WordPerfect. The WordPerfect export plugin is currently disabled, but I'm not sure that prevents you from saving a document already in WordPerfect format.