Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
I'm another one going from PC to Mac. One thing I'm trying to find is a free YouTube Downloader and converter. This was an easy find for Windows but not so much for Mac (yet).

Basically what I'm looking for for Mac is a free app where when you find a video you want to download from YouTube you cut and past the URL into the app and it downloads the video and converts it to .mov format to play in QuickTime.

Thanks for your help!

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
You actually don't even need a separate app for this, assuming you have either VLC or Perian installed (you really should have one of the two if you plan on watching many videos). In Safari, Go to Window > Activity, find the biggest file (it should have get_video in it), and add it to the Downloads window (either copy and paste, Option + double click, or drag it...the Downloads window is in the same place as the Activity window BTW). For most Flash video sites, this is all you'll need to do. For YouTube, you'll have to rename the file and add the .flv extension.

Not quite as clean as a 3rd party app, but I prefer this way since I don't like to install unnecessary apps.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
What if their in no biggest file?

I'm not sure what you mean. The Activity window lists all the files loaded by each page in Safari and their file size. The one with the largest file size will almost always be the video (if it hasn't completely loaded yet, it should be even easier to identify, because it should say "xx of xx" (xx meaning some number) rather than just "xx" for the file size, making it stand out.

justind.clark

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Well if you are using Firefox there are a number of plugins that will do this perfectly. The one that I use is called "Fast Video Download." Remember that the files that you download from YouTube will generally be in the FLV fomat so you should download Perian or an FLV compatible player.

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
You actually don't even need a separate app for this, assuming you have either VLC or Perian installed (you really should have one of the two if you plan on watching many videos). In Safari, Go to Window > Activity, find the biggest file (it should have get_video in it), and add it to the Downloads window (either copy and paste, Option + double click, or drag it...the Downloads window is in the same place as the Activity window BTW). For most Flash video sites, this is all you'll need to do. For YouTube, you'll have to rename the file and add the .flv extension.

Not quite as clean as a 3rd party app, but I prefer this way since I don't like to install unnecessary apps.

Thank You Very Much :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.