Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shreddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
UK
Well I just got a 1.5Tb Seagate FreeAgent For Mac (FreeAgent|Desk it says on the box) and hooked it up last night...

So it mounted and all looked ok so I moved 200Gb of stuff onto it (~55Mb/s, FW800) BUT later Finder stops responding when I try to browse the drive. Had to hard power down my iMac as it isn't very usable when Finder is dead.

So I power it up this morning (there's no power switch on the FreeAgent so I just left it on), mounts but same Finder (& other processes, eg Spotlight, no surprise) hang when I try to browse it.

Anyone seen this kind of problem?

I figured maybe it had overheated as the enclosure is slim and there's no room for a fan in there. I put it in the conservatory to cool down this morning and that didn't help - hangs straight after connecting & browsing.

Was planning on using this as a TimeMachine drive over AEBS but now it looks like I might not get the 200Gb of stuff back off the thing.

crakarlsson

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2009
I also just bought the 1,5 TB FreeAgent Desk Mac and I have a similar problem. It works just fine for some time, it varies from minutes to hours, before it hangs. The application using the FreeAgent crashes and after forcing it to shut down, finder crashes as well. Since finder won't reset I'm forced to pull the plug every time this happens.

Some help would be great!!

I run a 2Ghz C2D iMac, 2,5GB, 10.5.6 and a Seagate FreeAgent Desk for Mac 1,5 TB using the FW800 to 400.

wordsforthensa

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
MobileMe causes same type of Finder hang

I have found that I experience this exact same type of Finder hang if my MobileMe account info is entered into the System Prefs .Mac settings. The hangs never happen if I keep those fields (member name and password) BLANK in System Prefs.

I have OS 10.4 installed on my internal drive, and OS 10.5 on my FreeAgent external drive. This MobileMe hang occurs on both systems. Even if the FreeAgent drive is not even connected to my iMac, the internal 10.4 system will still hang from the MobileMe bug.

[I think Apple must have hired M$ employees to implement MobileMe. I've had nothing but trouble with it.]

So, naturally, I'm wondering if you are using MobileMe.

Also, you might want to try to always keeping your Mac awake (just sleep the display). This should avoid triggering any firmware bug in the Seagate. So far, I have not been able to pin down whether there is an actual sleep-wake problem with those drives, or if it's just the MobileMe bug making Seagate look bad.

Jeff

Archive

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
Hi,

just wanted to add to the list of the affected.

Also have the Freeagent 1.5 TB connected via FW800.

My specs:

Mac Mini (NVIDIA GeForce 9400), 4 GB DDR3 RAM, Leopard 10.5.6

I would also have random 'freezes' where I watch a QuickTime movie off the drive and it stops -> beachball in Quicktime, then only a hard disconnect of the FW800 cable or pulling the plug to the drive sets everything straight.

Has anyone of you found a solution yet?

I'm glad I'm not alone.

indiekiduk

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
I have the 1TB FreeAgent Desk for Mac and it has just started doing the hanging thing. Usually it is when Time Machine starts up the whole Finder freezes and I need to reboot. I'm connected using Firewire 800 but am going to try USB2, however I did buy it for the FW.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I have the 1TB FreeAgent Desk for Mac and it has just started doing the hanging thing. Usually it is when Time Machine starts up the whole Finder freezes and I need to reboot. I'm connected using Firewire 800 but am going to try USB2, however I did buy it for the FW.
I've decided to skip this disk and all other Seagate disks at least for a while until they get their bugs worked out.

keeganhess

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
Me too

I have a NAS with two Seagate 1.5TB drives in it on my hanging iMac, but I can't place when the hang happens. I also just started using .Mac on this machine. Prior to these configuration changes I didn't have a problem, but now I get frequent slow downs and hangs, and I'm wondering which is the problem.

Even if the Seagates are doing something wrong, the iMac shouldn't lock up, so I have a hard time blaming Seagate, but I'd like to know if anyone comes up with an answer.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I have a NAS with two Seagate 1.5TB drives in it on my hanging iMac, but I can't place when the hang happens. I also just started using .Mac on this machine. Prior to these configuration changes I didn't have a problem, but now I get frequent slow downs and hangs, and I'm wondering which is the problem.

Even if the Seagates are doing something wrong, the iMac shouldn't lock up, so I have a hard time blaming Seagate, but I'd like to know if anyone comes up with an answer.
If the external storage is connected through Finder and the storage disappears or hangs then yes, the iMac will seem to hang. This has been a problem with Macs forever it seems.

keeganhess

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
Drives not going away

My NAS doesn't go away. I can see it with other machines no problem, and I don't see errors in the log, but I still get random slowdowns and the infrequent complete lock up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.