freeagent xtreme, help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dizzee, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Dizzee macrumors member

i just go the freeagent xtreme for my MBP. its plugged in, ive tried FW400 and usb, but its not mounting! help!

2. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure, but is it even made for macs? Or do you have to format it for macs?

3. Dizzee thread starter macrumors member

it wont even let me reformat it, its not showing up on my desktop or in disk utility!
    is it no good?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

5. Dizzee thread starter macrumors member

i have no clue what i did... but its working now!

6. nedlear macrumors newbie

Hey Dizzee, do you really have no idea? I was hoping you may have at least a little for i am having the same trouble.

edit: I see what you mean. Just kept plugging the power in and out a few times and it got it started. I'm serious...

7. GoingForward macrumors newbie

FreeAgent Xtreme with Mac

Thanks NedLear & Dizzee for posting your experience with this drive. I too had purchased the FreeAgent Xtreme for use with my mac. The drive wouldn't show up on the desktop nor in disk utilities. It doesn't have a power switch so I wasn't for certain if it was on or off. But after reading your thread I unplugged the power from the back of the drive a couple of times and it came on. My new 1.5TB is now reformatted with disk utility for my mac and running great! Thanks for your posts here.:):apple:

8. nedlear macrumors newbie

Glad to hear it worked out for you GoingForward.

I have the 500mb Xtreme. I did get it reformatted, yet, I still have too much trouble getting it to mount. I don't use it.

Seagate Support says
    "Unfortunately this drive is specifically supported for Windows operating systems only. We do not have any MAC drivers. You are correct we have Free Agent drives specifcally taylored for MACs and I would suggest these. However you may be able to get this drive to work by using your Disk utility to repartition and format the drive but we do not support this ourselves."

oops

9. nedlear macrumors newbie

seagate freeagent xtreme problem on g5 mac

I thought i'd update our progress.
    I did get to use the hard drive on the firewire port for a while and it seem to be fine as long as i didn't let the sleep mode bother me.
    I left my mac on just in case the drive didn't mount again. Well, I eventually needed to restart and I lost it. I couldn't get it to mount through firewire again and the g5 started freezing and the fans would take off (let a jet)

It does mount on the usb port so all is not lost.

If anyone has a work around please pass it on. I wish I had the money to throw the drive through the window of the front office of seagate, but alas. I'll just sit here...sorry, i'll leave it for my twitter account:(