Freecom 1TB HDD "The underlying task reported failure on exit"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Fuzzy14, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Just got a new 1TB external network hard drive to try and solve my storage and sharing problems. It works no bother out of the box pre-formatted as MS-DOS, but due to the limit of this format and because I heavily use iMovie I want to use Mac OS Extended (journaled).

When I try to do a quick erase I get the error message
    Will give it a full erase fix it? This will take 12-14 hours to do so want to know if I'm going down the right path before I waste a night.

Cheers! ;)

2. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Well to give some closure to this thread, since I didn't get any better answers I started a full erase at 10pm last night and it finished at 5pm tonight! However as it finished it gave me the same error message so I'm guessing Freecom don't like Mac OS Extended (journaled).

Looks like I'll just have to use it in MS DOS format :mad:

3. paulobrad macrumors regular

I've just got a Western Digital My Book and having the exact same issue.

I need to be able to use this in HFS+ mode or it's going back - anyone got a solution?

Cheers.

4. paulobrad macrumors regular

I may have just solved it myself, in the column on the left rather than selecting the partition, click the actual drive itself and do the format - worked great for me.

5. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

paulobrad you are a ******* genius! Can't believe it was as simple as me selecting the wrong drive icon. It then gave me a different error message "File system formatter failed" but this was because it couldn't handle such a big drive, partitioning it into 2 solved that problem.

I owe you a pint! :)

6. hamids macrumors newbie

Networking freecom in HFS

I can see you got it formatted finally but could you see the drive on the network? I partitioned partly fat32 and partly hfs+ the fat32 part comes up no problem but i cant see the other part of the drive. It is partitioned 20% fat32 80% hfs+. Does the freecom drive work networked with hfs+?