Freecom 1tb network drive - help with setup

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by ashtreex, Jan 3, 2009.

1. ashtreex macrumors newbie

Hi, I just got a Freecom 1tb drive for the 2 iMacs to share via our network. Has anyone successfully set one up like this? The manual is pretty opaque for a total non expert, e.g. me.

I connected to it fine by Ethernet direct to my iMac (OS 10.5.5) but can't seem to find it now it's connected to the router via one of the ethernet sockets. The router is a SpeedTouch 780. The Freecom FSNA software can see the drive, but won't show the web interface for setup and management. The Freecom manual says the router needs to be configured as a DHCP server but the router manual only refers to DHCP 'pools'.

I was thinking of using TimeMachine as the backup software, any comments? I see CarbonCopy Cloner will do incremental backups for instance.

any advice very welcome!

2. rarepleasures macrumors newbie

Freecom 1tb network drive - help with setup Reload this Page Reply to Thread

In order to use the Freecom 1TB as a Network Drive you have to format it as FAT32 so that it is visible on the network to Freecoms software.

In order to use TimeMachine the drive must be formatted to Mac Extended Journalled.

You could use Time Machine and just connect by the USB 2.0 port but kinda defeats the point of having a network drive.

Think Freecom have messed up here.