Freecom 500Gb restore to default

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dougens, Oct 10, 2008.

1. dougens macrumors member

dougens

I recently bought a freecom 500Gb external hard drive for use with both mac and PC.which is what it states it is capable of.

however, the drive was only readable on mac and not PC which annoyed me greatly.

so after some advice i reformatted to fat32 and is now readable on both platforms.

but as i am using the drive for running pro tools (audio recording and editing) the drive (now fat 32) is not able to record etc as not compatible with pro tools system.

is there any other way i can restore the drive to its factory default settings?
    is this possible in disk utility?

if not i shall just have to repartition to mac osx journaled (so usable with pro tools) and resign to the fact that i cannot use the drive with PC at all.......
    which once again will annoy me very much as it is not doing what it state it would do.

if this is the case stay away from these rubbish drives!

any help received with thanks.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This will be the case with any hard drive. Pretty much any hard drive is Mac and PC compatible, I can not think of any that are not. What determines compatibility is the filing system being used.

If it is necessary to use Mac OS extended (journaled) you can install Macdrive on your Windows PC to read the Mac filing system.

3. dougens thread starter macrumors member

dougens

thanks mate
    just bought it there and will keep on usb stick to transfer data over to other peoples PC's when doing session on PT in other studios.

cheers for help.