FreeCom Classic NAS problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blackscooby, Apr 21, 2007.

1. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Hi,

I'm struggling to connect my Mac Mini to my Freecom NAS drive. The NAS utility just sits there spinning it's little spinny thing as it's trying to connect.

The drive (FreeCom 400GB) is in NTFS format, but I'm not worried about writing to the drive, just reading from. When connected directly via USB it's fine so just suspect the NAS utility part.

Anyone any ideas ?

Thanks

Mark

2. nplima macrumors 6502a

when I was on the market for a NAS I found this device too and disregarded it because of its requirement of specific client software to allow LAN access. instead of having a DHCP/SMB embedded it requires Windows users to install some piece of software to re-invent the wheel. of course, development of said software for Linux and Mac OS is "ongoing".

see this here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0008EN9JW/pgceret-21/ref=nosim

now you either replace that freecom with something else, or you use your windows box to mount it with USB and share with the LAN. that sucks.

3. blackscooby thread starter macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Bugger !, the NAS drive was going to be my Media Storage disk for the Mini which was going to connect to my TV. PC to NAS for conversion to Divx, and Mini for playing on TV.

Hmmmm might have to install the USB drive (Western Digital) along with my Mini to perform the Media storage functions now. So what I may do is make that sharable with my PC so I can direct connect with the Mini, but mount it from my PC and WiFi Divx stuff from PC to USB.

Ah well you can never have too much storage, or too many backups !