Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiguelS

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2010
San Jose
My thoughts exactly. yes, open source is great, but can also lead to many issue. BSOD...sound familiar.

As for companies shutting down unit if it gets tampered with, why not? You are reverse engineering a product that has value. Probably why companies dont sell to the chinese so much. When you buy a product you are buying the user end of it, and mechanical parts of it.

The more people hack, the more companies lose $$. Probably many consumers here, but I would think that those are inventors/developers would not want their code or product to be hacked.

Then again, you do have the choice to do things the right way or the wrong way.

I would prefer apple control the software and me not worry about OS failures.

Unfortunately, you get a lot of issues, I'll name a few:
1) Viruses, malware, other potentially harmful programs
2) Poorly coded programs, and programs that are non-uniform, IE the UI etc... across multiple apps is not uniform, it should be.
3) Fake rubbish apps that don't work

Just to name a few, if Apple didn't have control - it would be chaos.

Requiemm

macrumors regular
May 23, 2008
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ip...n-iphone-while-upgrading-iphone-os-3-0-a.html

Read point 4 - I'm sure I can find many more similar articles.

@mmomega - where can I get one of those? :D

Yeah, because the person didn't have any issues before updating to 3.0....Oh wait, he did. Look at point 3, or does that interfere with your apple/big brother complex?

Point is, Apple didn't brick his phone, he did by not following the jailbreak process properly and by not researching when he had errors.

(and before you call me a fanboi or an Apple apologist, my phone is jailbroken as is my wife's. I just hate blame going in the wrong direction)

User error does not equal Big Brother!

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Apple being a closed system is not required in order to keep "order." How every did Rim, Nokia, Windows Mobile do it before with a control center app store?

by the way even tho all those platforms now have a app store, they still allow you to go direct to a vendor/developer to download a app! no need to be tied down to a store... why cant apple do that?

Metal Hippy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
I have been a Wintel user since 1983 and have spent most of that time cursing Microsoft. Four months ago, after my last Wintel machine was stolen, I decided to use the money from a website I was working on to purchase my first Apple laptop and have been using it as my main machine ever since.

After so long dealing with Microsoft, I find it very difficult to conceive of an OS vendor which isn't full of BS when it comes to customer care and support. Some of you in this thread have been very supportive of Apple, despite my poorly constructed arguments.

Can I believe that Apple has only my best interests at heart? Only time will tell, I guess.

Cheers,
Metal Hippy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.