Freedompop

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by azure247, Jul 31, 2012.

1. azure247 macrumors 6502

I just read from tomshardware that Freedompop is making a sleeve that gives u free 4G up to 500MB a month. The sleeve attaches to ur ipod touch or iphone and automatically connects to Freedompop's 4G.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iPod-iPhone-Wireless-Free-4G,16489.html

This sounds so good to be true but its really true and its now possible for anyone to use an ipod touch as an actual phone. All they need is pinger and they get their own phone number and texting free wherever they are.

What do u guys think of the Freedompop? I could totally live off an ipod touch like this but the problem is iphones have always been better than the ipod touch so I cant resist from buying the next iphone. x.x

2. schafx macrumors newbie

3. audix macrumors regular

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

This. The idea is GREAT, however, there are so many things wrong with it. Like, let's say that they only sell a thousand of them. $99 x 1000 = $99,000., then take off the amount of what the plastic is actually worth, plus the packaging and marketing. It's not even enough to make a profit.

There's a reason why data costs the amount it does. There is no way for a new company like THEM being able to charge only $99 and give you reliable internet access. You can expect outages every single day/week from them.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Making the FreedomPop and selling it for $100 will give them room to make a small profit. This device is not revolutionary. The Apple Peel offered similar capabilities but not geared for the US market.

Data costs the amount that it does due to the market's willingness to pay it. Cheaper prepaids are making inroads and so it isn't a stretch to believe that FP will be viable.

6. audix macrumors regular

7. schafx macrumors newbie

Does anyone know whether the iPod Touch sleeve will add a GPS signal? Without that, you lose lots of smartphone functionality.

8. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I would say it is safe to assume if it will have 3G/4G, it will have a a GPS radio. But I personally doubt the addition of either.

9. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

beta

/bump

I hope they will offer a redesigned sleeve for the ipod touch 5G?!? If so, Im signing up.

10. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

X2

Will definitely get one if comes out for the new iPod.

11. shoes222 macrumors member

They are only selling enough sleeves per which they can provide affordable service for...I.e. they are limiting supply on purpose.

The thing about expecting outages is blatantly untrue. It's not FreedomPop themselves that's providing the 4G, they have a contract to use WiMAX for one year, and then they're transitioning to Sprint's LTE the year after that. As long as they have the contract worked out with the carrier, which they do, there won't be issues.

12. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

Just received this from FreedomPop. Looks like us soon to be iPT5 owners will have wait and see.

Thank you for your inquiry. Because our Freedom Sleeves do not need an iPod or iPhone in them to function as a hotspot for other devices, you will be able to connect the iPod Touch 5 to our 4G Network through the iPod/iPhone Freedom Sleeves. However, the iPod Touch 5 will not physically fit inside the current iPod Touch Freedom Sleeve. After we launch, we hope to begin development on a case for 5th generation Apple devices. Stay tuned!