FreeFileSync wont sync iPhoto library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zipforia, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Zipforia macrumors member

I keep my iPhoto library on a NAS (1 of 2) to free up my internal HDD. I am trying to sync this iPhoto library to my backup iPhoto library on NAS (2 of 2) that I previously did a manual backup on. I recently downloaded FreeFileSync and tried to sync (mirror) my iPhoto library on NAS (1 of 2) to my backup iPhoto library on NAS (2 of 2), but the iPhoto library is greyed out. How can I sync (mirror) the two? Thanks, in advance.

Z.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can't you just drag and drop the library to the NAS to copy it?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you able to see the library in Finder? If you can, try using the older, free 3.4.7 version of Carbon Copy Cloner to sync the folder you want. Just pick your source and destination in CCC then click "schedule task" to setup how often you want it to sync.

4. Zipforia thread starter macrumors member

Yes. But that's essentially doing a "copy" and "paste," which takes more than 12 hours. That's why I'm trying to find a software that will only update items that have been changed on the original iPhoto library.

Z.

----------

Yes. I can see both (original and backup) copies of the iPhoto libraries. The older version (3.4.7) doesn't support Mavericks, which I'm using. Any other suggestions?

Z.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That 3.4.7 version will work in Mavs, it just has not been officially "tested" by the developer since he moved on to working on the new version.

6. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

It seems like "rsync" would be a good tool to efficiently copy just the files that have changed, but it's a Terminal command with a bunch of options to wade through, so it may be more than you want to take on. Even so, I'd call it pretty easy to use, as Terminal stuff goes. Something like "rsync -avh /path/to/source /path/to/dest".

Do "man rsync" for all the details. Free (built into OS X).