Freeing disk space; uninstalling iWork '06?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 2Sunny, Aug 31, 2008.

1. 2Sunny macrumors member

I purchased and installed iWork '08:

1) Can I remove iWork '06 safely and efficiently?

2) If I drag the folder into the trash won't it leave behind a messy trail?

3) Is there an uninstall utility?

Thanks for the help,

Joe

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Are you that short of disk space - my iWork 08 folder is less than 700MB.

Check the size of your 06 folder first but you can safely put it in the trash. There will be preference files in your System but they will be pretty small and if you leave them they won't interfere with anything....

3. 2Sunny thread starter macrumors member

Bigger.

For some reason my iWork '06 folder is huge 1.95GB. Not sure if that is norma or not. I don't really have a space problem. It's more that I'm a neat freak :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

Joe

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Well if it is that size and there are no documents (or other things) lurking inside then just go ahead and trash it....

There is not usually an uninstaller for OSX programs since they don't install stuff all over the place like Windows installers.

5. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

The iWork 06 install is indeed much bigger for some reason - it seemed to get streamlined with 08. I deleted my 06 with no problems.

6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

The difference is due to the way graphics are accessed by the templates. In iWork '05 & '06 the various graphics in the templates existed in each language version. Now, the templates share resources. Since there are about 15 different language versions of the templates, that’s a lot of space saved.

7. ant-macyourself macrumors member

If you're concerned about leaving behind preference files after dragging an application to the trash, you might find AppDelete to satisfy your neat freak needs (I'm the same way). Just drag the iWork 06 folder to the AppDelete icon and it will gather all of the related files before sticking it in the trash.

8. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

The iWork '06 & iWork '08 applications use the same preference files, so you may not want to do that.