Freeing Hard Drive Space: "Others"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boba7523, Dec 9, 2011.

1. boba7523 macrumors regular

[​IMG]

As you can see, there's 37.98 gb of "others." on my 2010 MBP Mac OSX Lion. My brother's MBP only has i think 9 gb. What is contained in my "others" exactly? I have moved my photos, videos, most of my docs from my SSD to my external hard drive now. Are the "others" cache? Please help, i need to free up space!

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

3. GGJstudios, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use DiskInventory X (pre-Lion), OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. For Time Machine users on Lion, Time Machine local snapshots may be consuming space.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Hi. The question "what is other" and "where is my disk space" has been asked many times before in the last couple of weeks. You'll find many threads that will answer your question by using the search function.

5. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They all work on Lion. At one time there were reports that Disk Inventory X didn't, but perhaps that's changed. I haven't tested it.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Just been testing. Maybe it doesn't work that well...

About This Mac, Storage: 67.56 GB free/120.47 total | 0.46 GB backup
    Macintosh HD, Get Info: 68.02 GB available/120.47 total

this is consistent, since OSX considers the 0.46 GB backup "available." About a week ago, this "backup" was over 7 GB. I think the local snapshots are deleted after a week or so, provided that other backups are being done. I decided not to deactivate it, despite having a very small SSD.

Now, DiscInventoryX: Macintosh HD, Capacity: 112.2 GB, used 49.3 GB, Free 62.9 GB.

This is nowhere near the other two results. DIX sees the 4GB sleepimage, so that's not it. There is a 8 GB discrepancy in total capacity and a 3 GB discrepancy in the used storage.