freeing space on Mac OS X start up disk and apps not executing

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macg401, Feb 8, 2012.

1. macg401 macrumors newbie

I've an 12' ibookG4 and been using it for 6 years. It's running on 1.33MHZ processor(power pc), 512 RAM, Mac OS X ver10.3. It has never crashed nor given me any problems only been lagging whenever I use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop simultaneously. I do lots of photography and graphic designing stuff and I have huge files but it never crashed any apps.
    However recently I had upgraded the RAM to 726MB, that's when all my problems started. I could not save my photoshop files. Plus I had deleted much of the excess files on my pc-pics,.dmg,mp3s. Also it had prompt to clear my start up disk memory to enable the apps to function(I was using Firefox and my wireless device only). Which resulted Firefox to crash.

So I did some clean up in Library and the next thing I know when I restarted my pc. Its settings had been change to the default just like when I first got it. Still all my files were intact.

I did download WhatSize and AppZapper but it's unable to execute after installation. Please help!

I need to know how to make space for my start up disk and make the apps work properly.

2. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

When you remove apps, you need to make sure to remove the 'Package Contents' which you get by right-clicking.

If you have the disks that came with your Mac, it may be worth rebuilding it, should notice a little speed up with it then :) Back your files up first though :)

Does all of the RAM show up in System Profiler?

Simon

3. macg401 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I'll check that, for my usual app installation I would just have to drag the app icon into my application folder in to pop up and it's good to go.:)

Sadly, my disks are not with me anymore as I have shifted.Is there any other options?

I'll check my RAM again the last I could remember it showed that there's 3+MB left :)