Freeing up hard disk space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phatman007, Oct 10, 2010.

1. phatman007 macrumors newbie

Hello all

My hard disk is full on my Mac Book pro... Can anyone suggest stuff I can clear out to free up space, non essential stuff that may be lurking that is not necessary...

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The safest things to move are your user files. Be careful about trying to remove files/folders related to Mac OS X, especially if you don't know how they're used. Get an external drive for backups and for storing lesser-used files.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

CleanMyMac

However, I would start with going through Applications, Music, Photos etc folders and deleting the stuff that you don't need anymore. No application can know what personal data you need and what you don't.

You could also think about upgrading the HD to bigger one or getting an external HD for backups and infrequently used files.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You might want to start by running DiskInventoryX to see what is taking up all the space and go from there

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's true, but you can still use it to get rid of the extra languages for example. The main point, however, is that OS X hasn't filled OP's HD thus he should take a look at his user folder and remove unneeded files (just like you and I recommended). No app can do that for him.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree. For removing languages and unneeded architectures, I've used Monolingual with great success. Of course, you should be careful about which languages you remove.