Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonnyMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I know some people here mentioned removing the international languages from the OS X to create some HD space. Just wondering, is this only doable by a clean install? Or can you delete the stuff you don't need/want? How much does it free up? Thanks!

Halsey12

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2006
Portland
Monolingual is a program that does it, after I ran it, it said it would free up like 2gb's of space, but I only noticed about 600mb that actually got freed up on my hard drive... still, that's something. Just use it on it's defalut setting.

Also, be sure to throw away the Garage Band demo songs from the Garage band folder in your music folder. Those are huge. If you use Appzapper, you can trhow away all the programs you don't use, and it finds all the files and packages related to them in one swoop. I trashed Keynote, iMovie, iDvd, and some other things I don't ever use and never will.

JonnyMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Halsey12 said:
Monolingual is a program that does it, after I ran it, it said it would free up like 2gb's of space, but I only noticed about 600mb that actually got freed up on my hard drive... still, that's something. Just use it on it's defalut setting.

Also, be sure to throw away the Garage Band demo songs from the Garage band folder in your music folder. Those are huge. If you use Appzapper, you can trhow away all the programs you don't use, and it finds all the files and packages related to them in one swoop. I trashed Keynote, iMovie, iDvd, and some other things I don't ever use and never will.

Thanks for the tip! I have the 100GB HD and I have a huge music collection (around 60GB) so I'm down to 4GB or so of free space. I do have an external drive but I'd love to keep use of that to a minimum so I don't have to keep connecting/disconnecting it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.