Freeing up space on my local disk?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by likocean, May 18, 2012.

1. likocean macrumors newbie

So, I bought the Sims 2 and it says that in order to install, I need to free up at least 1 MB of space on my local drive. I deleted as much a I possibly could without losing important things. Also, I can't figure out how much space I have left on my hard drive to check. It says I have the device iDisk and so I'll click on it, and need to type in a username and password. I've tried everything to get it, but I don't know how to.

2. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

You can check how much space you've got left on your hard drive by clicking the Apple icon in the top left hand corner of the screen.

Then click on "About This Mac", then "More Info..." and then selecting the "Storage" tab at the top.

A tip for freeing up that bit of extra room on your hard drive is using AppCleaner when you're deleting apps. It can found here:

http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

It gets rid of all the little system files put in place when the app was installed, and it's very easy to use.

Hope this helps!

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

That's a strange message, because if you've got less than 1Mb left on your HDD, I doubt if your Mac would be working at all.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I wonder if the game is old and not recognizing a very large disk properly?

5. simsaladimbamba

Maybe the following can help:
    iDisk is not your local storage space or the name of your internal HDD, it is an online storage service by Apple. See here: http://www.apple.com/icloud/

It is not thorough though. The best way is the one shown in below linked guide and the video in my signature, which is showing the below linked guide's instructions in a visual way and the video also shows, that app deletion software does not find every file, contrary to Finder, which does that (finding every file, but then again, Mister GGJstudios returned and will post the same boring feces too).

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion: