Freeing up space on the root iPhone filesystem

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by brentpeters, Jan 27, 2014.

1. brentpeters macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm running a jailbroken iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1.4. I am one of the less fortunate with a 16gb device, so I'm always strapped for space.

Based on the apps I have installed on the device, and lack of music/photos/etc, I knew something wasn't adding up... So I mounted my iPhone as a disk and did a directory breakdown, and I found that:

/var/mobile/media/Downloads totals 1.3gb (a single filename consisting of random numbers taking up the majority of this space)
    /var/mobile/media/PhotoData totals 0.6gb

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of these folders, and whether they're okay to delete.

Cheers,
    Brent

2. 869639 macrumors 6502

Correct me if I'm wrong but it may be iOS 7+ files that may have automatically downloaded on the iPhone, as that was an issue many users on iOS 6 [Including 6.x.x] and below had reported.

3. brentpeters thread starter macrumors newbie

That actually makes perfect sense. Thanks. I went ahead and deleted that file and recovered the space!

4. brentpeters thread starter macrumors newbie

For anyone else experiencing a similar problem, I can also confirm that deleting /var/mobile/media/PhotoData/Thumbnails is safe. I still went ahead and made a backup, just in case. But it seems that there were a bunch of thumbnails for photos that no longer existed, hence the filesystem bloat.