Freelance Video Editor/Designer: MBP or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac4Life88, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Mac4Life88 macrumors newbie

Here's my situation:

I'm a recent graduate who entered the freelance media world 1 year ago. I am starting to get into video editing/motion graphic design doing short term projects for several companies. I currently own a 5 year old Powerbook G4 17" and am desperately in need of a new Mac. Here is what I'm considering:

Top of the line iMac 27" upgraded to an i7 and 8 gig ram.

Top of the line Macbook Pro 17" inch i5, upgraded to 7200rpm HD, anti-glare display.

I will be getting education pricing from a family member. Both systems above price about $5-10 dollars apart. Obviously the iMac is more powerful, and a better value. However, the MBP attracts me because of the anti-glare screen and the fact that in the future a freelance gig might require me to bring my computer to the office to do work.

For other video editor/motion graphic freelancers out there: what system do you recommend me getting? This post is more of a career related choice, over a price/value related choice. I am open to everyone's opinions as well.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The power of iMac is very nice for video editing and other intensive tasks, let alone the enormous display. So, if portability isn't THAT big need, I would get the iMac. If it is and you can't afford a new laptop anytime soon, then MBP may be your only choice.

3. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

If you need portability definitely MacBook Pro. Both will handle your needs quite well but obviously the iMac is a bit better.

The Pro is probably the safer choice considering your potential future situations.

4. Baycon macrumors member

I would say that the iMac is not just a *bit* better, but quite a whole world of difference. the iMac i7 is a quadcore (8 with hyperthreading) and the MBP is a dual core. For most people this won't make a huge difference...but in your situation, I would say it will.

5. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

You can get the MBP in i5 or i7

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

But they are still dual core thus iMac is over twice as fast

7. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Definitely MPB. Portability is always a big plus.

But do yourself a favor and get the ram elsewhere, you're gonna be seriously overpaying if you go with apple.

8. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

oh wow i didnt even notice that :confused:

9. Mac4Life88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright. Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'm going to buy a refurb iMac 27 inch i7, and then upgrade the ram from http://eshop.macsales.com/ Doing this I'm getting the best overall machine and saving over $400 dollars. Sure, I might miss out having the portability, but the power of this machine is worth it.