Freeplanner doesn't start

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zuercher, Jun 24, 2008.

1. zuercher macrumors newbie

What should I do after installing Freeplanner(dive planning program) it would not start and I get the following message:

Freeplanner has not access to the correct directory-go to www.freeplanner.org for the installation instructions

Well I went: That's all what I found...
    FREEPLANNER WILL NOT RUN UNLESS YOU HAVE TOTAL ACCESS TO THE \Applications\FreePlanner DIRECTORY.

So, what I should do? My machine is intel Macbook with Leopard and the program is correct version for my mac.

Thanks for your help.
    Jari

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You should find some software written by someone who understands how to write Mac software. What it is saying is that to run the software you must have full read/write/execute permissions to the /Applications/FreePlanner folder (and probably it's contents). You could set permissions to allow this but there is no good reason that software written correctly would require this. Apple explicitly note that software should not assume it can write to it's installation directory in their programming guide...

3. zuercher thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck yet. I went to applications-freeplanner-opened info- and there it is- I have read and write permissions for Freeplanner.
    Perhaps there is plenty of things which I don't understand with Mac, but I don't have a glue what I should try next to fix this problem?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Inlcuding all the files in it? Apps on a Mac are just directories full of files that look like a single file. As I said this is an indication that the software is written by someone who doesn't know the first thing about writing software for OSX.

5. FreePlanner macrumors newbie

Help for FreePlanner install

Hello,

The code is Beta code - support is available via email, if you contact colin at freeplanner dot org, I will be more than happy to help you get FreePlanner up and running (I am the author of FreePlanner).

FreePlanner requires access to its directory because different programs are being run in the background to generate the decompression schedules and output files are stored in that directory.

There is also a support forum that can be accessed at www.freeplanner.org

Yes, I could have made things easier and more standard in having those files reside in the user's directory, but I'm lazy, the install program is free, and I don't charge for FreePlanner.

There is an upcoming release that will not have this particular issue.

I would also really like to thank Robbie Duncan for his helpful insight. Without knowing anything about FreePlanner at all, Robbie appears to be an expert on, well, just about everything.

Robbie, how about this advice next time, "Contact the author and/or company that wrote the software."