Freesat HD

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We've been thinking about getting Freesat HD in the living room. Glancing over the TV guides I can only see a few HD shows each day and the show I'd love to see in HD (Spooks) is still in SD. Yet The Bill is in HD! Fools.

How much does it cost, whats the quality like? Basically is it worth it?

Cheers all :)

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you wait a tiny bit longer there are new Freesat+ boxes coming to market which allow recording TV as well as watching it. If you already have a Sky dish then you won't need to pay anyone for installation, but if you don't it could be something like £100 to get someone to fit your dish.

The HD+ boxes are quite expensive but it is much better than getting Sky HD because there are no subscription fees.

3. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

If you can afford it get Sky HD+, I think they still have the offer of £75 for a Sky HD+ box, if you cannot afford Sky HD+ I suggest you wait out Freesat HD until more HD shows are available, I read somewhere (I'll try and find the article) that some point in the next year or so you should get HD over freeview via ariel.

4. djellison macrumors 68020

And currently, only two channels. Sky HD has a couple of dozen. You do get what you pay for I'm afraid. Hopefully more people will come onboard with Freesat HD, but I'm not particularly expectant.

Doug

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

We're not too fussed about recording HD, already bought some Sony DVR thing a month back.
    When you say Sky dish do you mean a digital, oval one or the old circular one?

Oh good God no. We're fed up with Sky in this house, and I'll be glad to hand over our Sky dish to get Freesat :D
    They had HD-over-aerial tests around here some years ago. Apparently the extra bandwidth freed up by the terrestrial switch off will let Freeview HD possible.

Looking through the TV guide it seems that the first 4 terrestrial channels have HD programmes.

6. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Currently if you want a good selection of HD forget Freesat HD until next year and also the prices should go down as well.

Sky have been excellent for me but I wish they would come and install Sky HD+ been a week and a bit now, getting very:mad: